• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collector Intervention
3 3

140 posts in this topic

Oh my God, that comic collector guy was out of control - 30,000 comics. Complete run collector - you don't see that anymore.   No Silver or Golden age comics.  Are you kidding me?  Wanted $1 per book for his modern drek and Dealer offered 25 cent per book.   Best part of the episode was a trade of 3000 common modern books for a Hulk #181 signed by Len Wein.  That was in 2012.  The Hulk #181 looked really nice condition so worth quite a bit today.  Lesson: Buy quality over quantity.

1 minute ago, Schmakt said:

I can't believe he got a 181 for that stuff.  I would have pulled that trigger in a hearbeat.

You would have to literally pay me to take that drek cause it would be work for me to throw em all away.

Working backwards was definitely a bad strategy for the dude. 30,000 comics and not one key. I get collecting runs, it's what I like to do. I can't even imagine having a key without the surrounding issues to go around it, or a key from a series I didn't want to collect. But you gotta keep that stuff in the closet or the attic or the comic room if you have one. Can't have a 40 year old virgin house.

Both of them have hoarding problems.  The fact that the comic book guy has basically memorized all the stories from that drek is interesting.  I wonder how many duplicates he has with 30000 books and buying 900 at a shot, surely a lot.  He must be buying collections instead of issues to complete his runs and not even checking to see if he already owns them, or bothering to groom his collection for higher grade books.  The Toy collector has come off the rails with asking his parents for rent at 38 years old.  He should have been cut off at 18 and then he wouldn't have had the coin to buy all that.

The grimacing wife face was excellent and I smell a divorce in short order along with about 150 more long boxes.  She should start hoarding cats and get about 50 of them to live with the comics in a symbiotic relationship.

46 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

30,000 comics and not one key.

I guarantee he has lots of keys in that collection. But apparently none with really high value.

46 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Can't have a 40 year old virgin house.

If they had a house, there probably wouldn't be a problem..

If youre gunna hoard at least dont hoard drek.  Beanie babies or franklin mint or something.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

If youre gunna hoard at least dont hoard drek.  Beanie babies or franklin mint or something.

But he likes the books, worthless or not.  I give him props for being a true comic book fan, however stating that he loves the Avengers and not owning any silver age? Hmmmm...  30000 books at 25 cents each (what was offered in show) is 7500 bucks.  Even if he got a buck each like he asked for he might be able to squeak out one or two full runs from silver age up.  The fact is he at least has one book now that is worth the same as most of his others combined, he actually made out BIG lol.

I have a bit of a hoarding problem too with 1500 DVD, now a defunct medium.  Every time I see older movies on these paid streaming services being offered I snicker a little.  How often do you re watch a movie Karl?  Some of them a lot, but about 25 percent of them never again.  How did you get so many movies Karl?  I cancelled cable TV in 1997 and never looked back.  I also rented a lot when Blockbuster was still around.  I probably broke even in spending with counting cable tv as 100 bucks a month.  Yes all my movies were purchased legally at full price, no bootlegs.  1500 DVD will take up an entire wall of a room when spread out in shelving and it can be hard to find what you are looking for, unlike streaming services.  In today's environment streaming also has in many cases higher resolution.  I don't know what I am going to do with them yet...