• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collector Intervention
3 3

140 posts in this topic

I never got the 'run' collection.

I think that is because I originally collected baseball cards until I REALLY discovered comics around the age of 9 or 10 with GI Joe. Now some of what I will say is contradictory but that is because back in 1985-1986 some of my collecting habits were out of necessity and not out of desire to complete a run. 

When it came to baseball cards you knew pretty quickly that 'collecting' packs upon packs were going to yield faceless no-names that were irrelevant in comparison to pulling a NY Yankee out of that cello-wrap pack. You would be left with a lot of players that you just did not want.  I had no desire to have shoeboxes of what I perceived to be 'useless' cards.  Also keep in mind that collecting a complete set was tough since I did not have access to a baseball card shop unless mom or dad wanted to drive me. That really wasn't going to happen.  So, I only had half of a set of 1984 Topps and that was okay so long as I had Don Mattingly's card which just so happened to be his rookie year. To this day I still remember that it was card #8. Rookie's were important because you had the FIRST card and that was the most important. 

Sure I started collecting runs but that was because I wanted the next part of the story.  There were no trade paperbacks or digital subscriptions and at that time at the age of 9 and 10, the comics set scenarios for play with the actual GI Joe figures. But still I knew when it came to baseball cards that the first cards were the most important. 

This mentality bled its way into my focus when it came to collecting my Amazing Spider-man run.  I went after key books first.  I owned a copy of AF15 before I owned a copy of ASM 10 or even 50 because I knew that the first appearances or the more important first appearances would always be in more demand than later appearances of second tier characters. 

I don't have the space... well I should say I don't believe in devoting the space to a collection composed of every comic of every character I enjoy so I go after their first appearances. I like conciseness and appreciate quality over quantity. I have X-Men 1... but that is really it.  I love owning my copy of Daredevil 1.  But I felt all I really needed was my copy of DD 1 and 7.  

Nowadays if I want to read I can simply log on and read with no real need to invest in the space not comics that really would just sit in a box.  Instead I get to put that money into artwork and more key books.

I still have my Mattingly #8 btw. 

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

annoying video. Just once I would like to see a story where the woman says "I love him and I know the comics came with him. It is a quality I really love about him. I just wish it could be culled, sell some of them to buy a few nicer ones." Instead it is always anti-comics.

*** I come from a situation where my Ex actually threw away my comics back in 1995 so perhaps I am very biased. I returned the "favor" and threw away all of her shoes.

I’m with you.  About 11 years ago I ended a long relationship.  About a year later I met a girl and we started dating.  The former was definitely always degrading my collecting and how much I spent.  I told myself that the next girl was going to accept my collecting or she could hit the bricks.  10 years later, turns out the latter has more golden age than I do, so I think it worked out. 

Also, it drives me bonkers when I’m at a store or a show and a guy is looking at a book and says he can’t buy it because of the wife or he has to “ask the wife” before he can buy it.  

3 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I’m with you.  About 11 years ago I ended a long relationship.  About a year later I met a girl and we started dating.  The former was definitely always degrading my collecting and how much I spent.  I told myself that the next girl was going to accept my collecting or she could hit the bricks.  10 years later, turns out the latter has more golden age than I do, so I think it worked out. 

Also, it drives me bonkers when I’m at a store or a show and a guy is looking at a book and says he can’t buy it because of the wife or he has to “ask the wife” before he can buy it.  

Happy to hear it worked out.

I definitely think the guy in the video needs to compromise and yes a dining room with a table and no comics in the room is how it should be. I am curious what their closet looks like?

Is it a 50.50 split on space, I seriously doubt it.

In my case the Ex and I lived in a 3 bedroom house. One room was our master bedroom, she got one of the other rooms for her "office" the other room was mine. The house was always comic free as I knew she didn't like them. In the room that was mine I had my desk with my computer, a drawing table and art stuff and my 16 long boxes of comics. It was rather crammed but I considered it mine. The Ex was never positive about my comics and was always trying to get me to sell them. One day while I was at work she decided to "help" me and cleaned up my room and in the act threw away a lot of loose art papers, and my comic collection. I can't even begin to describe the feelings I had when I came home to discover it. Anger was definitely one of my reactions and I returned the favor and "helped" her out by removing so many extra pairs of shoes from our house. I began to really think about the relationship I was in and began to realize how self centered she was. Not long after this incident she came home from work and found me coming out of my room and she knew I was playing computer games: another thing she hated. I never played games when she was around, I only played when she was out. Anyways, she was angry again and had the audacity to make an ultimatum:" it's either me or the games"  I chose ME and our relationship ended after 7 years.

35 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:
58 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

annoying video. Just once I would like to see a story where the woman says "I love him and I know the comics came with him. It is a quality I really love about him. I just wish it could be culled, sell some of them to buy a few nicer ones." Instead it is always anti-comics.

*** I come from a situation where my Ex actually threw away my comics back in 1995 so perhaps I am very biased. I returned the "favor" and threw away all of her shoes.

The only problem in this video is the fiancé (and the consultant).

I always tell my wife, "I was collecting comics before I met you, and I will be collecting comics long after your gone."

Seriously though, give and take is part of relationships, but you don't try to entirely change something in your partner that is by its very nature, their essence.  That's some sick shiznit right there, and probably has some kind of identifying diagnosis is the psychology world.

17 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The only problem in this video is the fiancé (and the consultant).

I don't think she was unreasonable. There were longboxes under the dining room table, in the bedroom, everywhere. She wasn't asking him to sell everything (and even wanted him to keep some things she knew had particular value to him), just to get it under control. 

I know I wouldn't appreciate my wife or kids keeping their cr@p in every room of the house. 

Edited by october

I can definitely understand why she wouldn’t want comics all over the house like that though. She didn’t want him to get rid of all of them, and especially not his favorite ones. She didn’t even mention money so it’s not like she doesn’t want him spending on his hobby anymore. She just wanted a normal looking house. I’d have suggested climate controlled storage for him 

44 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I always tell my wife, "I was collecting comics before I met you, and I will be collecting comics long after your gone."

...Always? That could get old real fast.  2c

2 minutes ago, Point Five said:

...Always? That could get old real fast.  2c

We'll have been married 35 years this April.  It helps that I married someone who collects books, and a few other things.

I’m a lucky one... My wife is an antique dealer and she often brings me home old comics and pulps when she goes to estate sales. As long as I keep them neatly in my comic room she is OK. Of course, she even puts up with my vintage toys and advertising habit and lets me spread a few things through to house tasfuly. 

She is not so happy about my 2 vintage motorcycles though. I had bikes when we met so she has accepted them. She worries about me riding them. 

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

This is where I am very fortunate.  My wife new I collected comics when we got together and when we were married.  Knew it was a packaged deal.  With that being said, I don't have the collection size others have.  I am around 3000.  Had more, but have started selling some of the stuff that I never really CARED for to begin with.  I am a "run collector" but limited.  Finished my web of spider-man run recently.  Want to complete my GI Joe run next.  I am only doing that for those titles (characters) I truly care about.

Shared this link with my wife, and her first instinct was for us to find a Hulk 181.  :) 

Wonder if they're divorced now?  The Hulk 181 was a nice win...but if your thing is going to a show and loading up on common stock from the bargain bin, then replenishing 2000 moderns is a snap and their engagement party is going to be hosted on a stack of Booster Golds regardless.  Could almost see it in his eyes!

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

We'll have been married 35 years this April.  It helps that I married someone who collects books, and a few other things.

Me too! I'm kind of lucky, or was very selective when I married my second and current wife.

I don't have to worry about the wife regarding my collection . I do however include her in my hobby with going to shows, selecting what books to buy. She usually says pay the extra money to get the better book. However I don't have all my books spilling out into the dining room or kitchen.  I have them in  one room, cleanly shelved. 

So I can understand why the woman  in the show wants to get control of it. 

17 hours ago, Krydel4 said:

I come with the comics, sweetheart.😁

I agree with her! (plus she's very attractive)

I remember watching this show when it came out. I recognized Ellyse Luray because my wife and I used to watch the Antiques Roadshow on PBS. (What can I say, sometimes they had toys and guns and posters...)

There's a few other good episodes. There's a guy with a Catwoman obsession, a guy with 60s/70s Hot Wheel and G.I. Joes, a woman with a Barbie collection and another with Star Wars toys, and an aging hipster with a really interesting collection of underground, punk and 60s memorabilia. 

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

Not me at all. I have boxes and boxes of old krap. I have almost never met a 10 or 12 cent cover price book in a dollar box I did not like.

As far as collection size, pretty close to yours, no?

Actually it's more like your size collection in my size apartment. Which is a tough combination.