• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collector Intervention
3 3

140 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

When it came to baseball cards you knew pretty quickly that 'collecting' packs upon packs were going to yield faceless no-names that were irrelevant in comparison to pulling a NY Yankee out of that cello-wrap pack.

You mean like the greatness of Steve Balboni? 

balboni.jpg

That LCS owner seemed pretty agreeable to let that 181 go, for what was mostly $1 books.  I wonder how much he was into it for?  He probably had 1/2 more in a higher grade in back.   Maybe the Len Wein signature turned him off. 

It’s also possible the entire thing was faked. I know other reality shows do it. The pawn one and the one with the guys who drive around rooting through peoples stuff are two that I think have been confirmed fake, the comic book shop one too maybe? Oh and Storage Wars too

Edited by dupont2005

4 hours ago, Point Five said:

As far as collection size, pretty close to yours, no?

Actually it's more like your size collection in my size apartment. Which is a tough combination.

Yes, roughly the same size, give or take. I might be more like 25,000. Maybe if I am lucky 20,000.

5 hours ago, Point Five said:

As far as collection size, pretty close to yours, no?

Actually it's more like your size collection in my size apartment. Which is a tough combination.

I’m always a little embarrassed to complain about space for my collection when I think about the size of a certain friend’s apartment in Queens. (It’s actually a good size for the market)

13 hours ago, Point Five said:

I'm still waiting for the conversation where my wife begs me to add a high-grade Hulk #181 to my collection. Welp, maybe this weekend.

I own some Planet Comics issues because my wife overruled my inclination to pass on them and told me to bid more. 

Can't see her pushing me towards a Hulk 181 though.

I'm OK with both of those. :)

30,000 moderns at $4 a pop he's sunk $120,000 into worthless drek-man just think of the SA and GA books he could have instead-

1 hour ago, kav said:

30,000 moderns at $4 a pop he's sunk $120,000 into worthless drek-man just think of the SA and GA books he could have instead-

WTF is this nonsense?

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

You mean like the greatness of Steve Balboni? 

balboni.jpg

lol when you are that age... you are stoked to pull a NY Yankee... 

I just woke up... couldn't sleep... 

I think the notion of run collecting will continue to die as digital expands.  If run collecting is for the stories and not the collectibility than reading digitally is the easiest way to secure those stories. 

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I just woke up... couldn't sleep... 

I think the notion of run collecting will continue to die as digital expands.  If run collecting is for the stories and not the collectibility than reading digitally is the easiest way to secure those stories. 

While I agree with you in principle the fact is I personally loved the Spider-man stories up until issue 700 and then stopped, now I have 3 short of a run and all the offshoots. Basically that means I now have about 3000 comics that are dollar books if I'm lucky and about less than a hundred worth more? What to do?????????????:bigsmile:     

Signed

Confused Spideyfan

images (1).jpg

On 3/1/2019 at 12:21 AM, Karl Liebl said:

Thats 208 new issues to buy each month, I think your math is wrong...

well Diamond does publish their "Top 300" each month for sales...granted some of the books listed are reorders...

22 minutes ago, tv horror said:

While I agree with you in principle the fact is I personally loved the Spider-man stories up until issue 700 and then stopped, now I have 3 short of a run and all the offshoots. Basically that means I now have about 3000 comics that are dollar books if I'm lucky and about less than a hundred worth more? What to do?????????????:bigsmile:     

Signed

Confused Spideyfan

images (1).jpg

Oh my GOD! Maybe some people actually read their comic books?

What's drek to some , might just be a goldmine for others.:banana:

I "get" this guy in the video. My wife tells me why go for some of the horror books like creepy, and Eerie etc. " they're not worth anything " I tell her it's because I enjoy them for what they are. I have my big keys too, but the Warren stuff made me enjoy the hobby all the more.

10 hours ago, kav said:

Why do you think he paid anywhere near cover? (Is that in the video clip?) Other than a few dozen books I have never paid more than $1 for a modern and the bulk have been 50 cents - 66 cents. Of course that would still be $20,000 for that many books. I don't know how many moderns I have.

33 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Yeah, but those are "good" dollar books. Within limits there are certain titles I'll buy for a buck or less unless I know I have a bunch of copies and they aren't nm or better. Spidey is one. Batman/detective usually as well (although sometimes I pass on some 90s books). Uncanny x-men usually. Walking dead. Deadpool and avengers usually.

33 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Edited by the blob