• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collector Intervention
3 3

140 posts in this topic

30,000 books is between 120-150 longs.  How does he have that many books, and no silver or gold?  Has he just been skimming dollar bins all these years, and throwing back anything that wasn't high grade?  I'm a run collector too, but he sounded like a nut.  I'm at about 60 longs myself.  I have a house, everything fits in the room I've dedicated to my collection, and I have no wife to hassle me, but I still feel the weight of stuff I don't like enough to keep.

I don't like the "quality over quantity" argument, I hate that the hostess said that.  Would I rather have a Hulk 181 over a run of Quasar and Web of Spidey?  Of course.  Would I rather have a Hulk 181 over twice it's value of Avengers, Flash, or Shazam runs I've built?  Heck no.  He did great on the trade, but collecting has to be more than just dollars and cents.

14 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

30,000 books is between 120-150 longs.  How does he have that many books, and no silver or gold?  Has he just been skimming dollar bins all these years, and throwing back anything that wasn't high grade?  I'm a run collector too, but he sounded like a nut.  I'm at about 60 longs myself.  I have a house, everything fits in the room I've dedicated to my collection, and I have no wife to hassle me, but I still feel the weight of stuff I don't like enough to keep.

I don't like the "quality over quantity" argument, I hate that the hostess said that.  Would I rather have a Hulk 181 over a run of Quasar and Web of Spidey?  Of course.  Would I rather have a Hulk 181 over twice it's value of Avengers, Flash, or Shazam runs I've built?  Heck no.  He did great on the trade, but collecting has to be more than just dollars and cents.

The problem is he likes reading the books and enjoys what seems to be all of them too much to part with them.  The question I have is how many unique books have been published since 1980 and how many duplicates does he own?

Clearly he is not a dealer because he doesn't want to sell anything and even cringed at the thought.  One reader and one collection copy is all he needs.

Edited by Karl Liebl

2 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

The question I have is how many unique books have been published since 1980

Well over 100k.

4 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

and how many duplicates does he own?

I'm sure it's a negligible amount, if any.

29 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

But he likes the books, worthless or not.  I give him props for being a true comic book fan, however stating that he loves the Avengers and not owning any silver age? Hmmmm...  30000 books at 25 cents each (what was offered in show) is 7500 bucks.  Even if he got a buck each like he asked for he might be able to squeak out one or two full runs from silver age up.  The fact is he at least has one book now that is worth the same as most of his others combined, he actually made out BIG lol.

I have a bit of a hoarding problem too with 1500 DVD, now a defunct medium.  Every time I see older movies on these paid streaming services being offered I snicker a little.  How often do you re watch a movie Karl?  Some of them a lot, but about 25 percent of them never again.  How did you get so many movies Karl?  I cancelled cable TV in 1997 and never looked back.  I also rented a lot when Blockbuster was still around.  I probably broke even in spending with counting cable tv as 100 bucks a month.  Yes all my movies were purchased legally at full price, no bootlegs.  1500 DVD will take up an entire wall of a room when spread out in shelving and it can be hard to find what you are looking for, unlike streaming services.  In today's environment streaming also has in many cases higher resolution.  I don't know what I am going to do with them yet...

Streaming has a severely limited selection of actual good stuff though. I have Netflix and Hulu with HBO and am on a 6 month promo with STARZ.

18 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

He did great on the trade

Presumably, due to the insane current prices of Hulk 181, even though his copy is defaced with a non-witnessed signature.

But what was actually in all those boxes?

30 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

But he likes the books, worthless or not.  I give him props for being a true comic book fan, however stating that he loves the Avengers and not owning any silver age? Hmmmm...  30000 books at 25 cents each (what was offered in show) is 7500 bucks.  Even if he got a buck each like he asked for he might be able to squeak out one or two full runs from silver age up.  The fact is he at least has one book now that is worth the same as most of his others combined, he actually made out BIG lol.

I have a bit of a hoarding problem too with 1500 DVD, now a defunct medium.  Every time I see older movies on these paid streaming services being offered I snicker a little.  How often do you re watch a movie Karl?  Some of them a lot, but about 25 percent of them never again.  How did you get so many movies Karl?  I cancelled cable TV in 1997 and never looked back.  I also rented a lot when Blockbuster was still around.  I probably broke even in spending with counting cable tv as 100 bucks a month.  Yes all my movies were purchased legally at full price, no bootlegs.  1500 DVD will take up an entire wall of a room when spread out in shelving and it can be hard to find what you are looking for, unlike streaming services.  In today's environment streaming also has in many cases higher resolution.  I don't know what I am going to do with them yet...

I’ve found streaming to have severely limited options though. I have Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, STARZ, and HBO and there’s maybe 20 movies I want to watch between everything combined. Usually what I’m in the mood to watch isn’t available. One day I suspect there will be excellent options but until then discs are the way to go for movies. I was even renting on Vudu which costs about as much as buying a DVD these days, but after three or four movies in a row just freezing and refusing to finish halfway in I decided I’m not giving them anymore of my money 

2 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Thats 208 new issues to buy each month, I think your math is wrong...

60-70 from Marvel, 60-70 from DC. Easy if you include minis and event books and such. Then there’s the Icon/Vertigo I prints from the big two, maybe another 20 a month? That’s 160 just from the big two, excluding variant covers. Then there’s Image, Dark Horse, IDW, etc. and you’re still only talking mainstream here. 

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I’ve found streaming to have severely limited options though. I have Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, STARZ, and HBO and there’s maybe 20 movies I want to watch between everything combined. Usually what I’m in the mood to watch isn’t available. One day I suspect there will be excellent options but until then discs are the way to go for movies. I was even renting on Vudu which costs about as much as buying a DVD these days, but after three or four movies in a row just freezing and refusing to finish halfway in I decided I’m not giving them anymore of my money 

Hence why I snicker a little and can always enjoy a movie when I want even if the internet is down.

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

60-70 from Marvel, 60-70 from DC. Easy if you include minis and event books and such. Then there’s the Icon/Vertigo I prints from the big two, maybe another 20 a month? That’s 160 just from the big two, excluding variant covers. Then there’s Image, Dark Horse, IDW, etc. and you’re still only talking mainstream here. 

Are you telling me that currently marvel and DC are producing 140 different comic books each month?  The WHOLE book not just the covers...

8 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Are you telling me that currently marvel and DC are producing 140 different comic books each month?  The WHOLE book not just the covers...

Looks like 227 in January based on lazyboys link, some titles double shipped. After about 190 the print runs got suspiciously low, so possibly second prints 

5 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I don't even know what I am looking at.  List the 70 unique marvel titles currently published monthly (not including BS art covers).  Better yet list any year Marvel produced 70 unique books monthly EVER!

Those lists do not list variants separately. They do include some reorders and reprints (2nd+ printings).

Various breakdowns of the numbers appear in the column to the left of the lists.

lookcloser.thumb.jpg.3826f433681d71f8e6442b90301da777.jpg

I'm sorry if you don't realize just how many unique issues are published every month. I can only point you to the information. I can't understand it for you.

OMG...  I admit defeat.  Lazy Cat was right.  I had no idea since I haven't seen a comic book sold in a store in decades.

I guess if they are charging as much as a paperback book the industry can afford it.  Reading 208 paperback books a month would be impressive, not so much with comics.  I guess if the modern collector gets bitten by this bug it could wind up badly, as in the show.

Defeat...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7fd.jpg.7fdd3048ff3af8d73c55f90c51f07911.jpg

annoying video. Just once I would like to see a story where the woman says "I love him and I know the comics came with him. It is a quality I really love about him. I just wish it could be culled, sell some of them to buy a few nicer ones." Instead it is always anti-comics.

*** I come from a situation where my Ex actually threw away my comics back in 1995 so perhaps I am very biased. I returned the "favor" and threw away all of her shoes.