2019 Annual March Madness CGC Grading Tournament - Seeding Round
11 11

339 posts in this topic

6,358 posts
18 hours ago, sckao said:

The Board automatically compresses and optimizes images and caches them on its Content Delivery Network (Which makes small text blurry)... but clicking on the image should bring up a 3000 pixel high resolution image.

Because we have 96 contestants, we will be having a FINAL 3 and not a FINAL 2.

ROUND of 96 BRACKET A and B (3 sets of 32)

cgc-2019-march-madness-bracket-1a-1024-v

cgc-2019-march-madness-bracket-1b-1024

 

Three Finals?  How will it work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35,927 posts
50 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Three Finals?  How will it work?

Not sure what you are asking.  Can you be more specific? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,850 posts
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Printer's creases are horizontal, and the nut sack crease was more vertical.  Just want to point that out. 

All scans and pictures are post-press.  The presser who pressed that book was able to extremely reduce the nut sack crease to what I showed in the photo.

Best-looking nut sack crease I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
834 posts
31 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Not sure what you are asking.  Can you be more specific? 

I believe he thinks there will be 3 winners when in fact the 3 will go against each other in the final round correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,358 posts
41 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Not sure what you are asking.  Can you be more specific? 

Like a basketball tournament, Final Four then Championship.  Here we have three Finals - one team with most points gets bye and will play in the championship and two teams will compete before the official final (the championship).  That is my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,540 posts
Posted (edited)

In a real basketball game where two teams are actually playing against each other PHYSICALLY... You'd have to make it a one-to-one draw. In this case where everyone is grading the same set of books, I'm personally not seeing a big difference between seeing THREE people vying for the Championship versus TWO. 

That's an interesting idea though... Up to @BlowUpTheMoon ultimately. 

 

I guess an example would be the NBA Three-Point Contest where the FINAL THREE shot for the Championship with the lowest qualifying round going first.)

NBA All-Star Weekend 3-Point Contest Info

Contest Format: Each player will have 60 seconds to shoot a total of 25 balls (five racks of five balls). Four of the racks have four balls worth one point and the fifth ball is worth two points (the money ball). The fifth and final rack will be comprised of entirely money balls.

Round 1: All nine shooters take their turn in random order, aside from defending champion Devin Booker, who will shoot last.

Championship Round: The three-best scores from Round 1 will make it to the Championship Round and shoot in order from the lowest Round 1 score to highest.

Edited by sckao
Added an example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
631 posts
2 minutes ago, sckao said:

In a real basketball game where two teams are actually playing against each other PHYSICALLY... You'd have to make it a one-to-one draw. In this case where everyone is grading the same set of books, I'm personally not seeing a big difference between seeing THREE people vying for the Championship versus TWO. 

That's an interesting idea though... Up to @BlowUpTheMoon ultimately. 

And if it were a real basketball championship I wouldn't even be in it with an 0-14 record. LOL! (So glad its not) Right now all I'm worried about is not making more of a fool of myself in the first round. I'm sure by the finals I'll just be watching...:popcorn:For now its back to beer, just 48 hours of drinking left before we find out who moves on. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35,927 posts
29 minutes ago, sckao said:

In a real basketball game where two teams are actually playing against each other PHYSICALLY... You'd have to make it a one-to-one draw. In this case where everyone is grading the same set of books, I'm personally not seeing a big difference between seeing THREE people vying for the Championship versus TWO. 

That's an interesting idea though... Up to @BlowUpTheMoon ultimately. 

I get what JollyComics is saying.  I think the Final Four is too late in the Tournament to award a contestant a BYE.

Winners of each of the three brackets going head-to-head for the Final makes more sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,470 posts
44 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I get what JollyComics is saying.  I think the Final Four is too late in the Tournament to award a contestant a BYE.

Winners of each of the three brackets going head-to-head for the Final makes more sense. 

Curious-if that ASM had the extra piece cut off would CGC notice and if so would it be restoration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
631 posts
9 hours ago, kav said:

Curious-if that ASM had the extra piece cut off would CGC notice and if so would it be restoration?

I would say yes it would be considered restoration. But I'm

from the days when printing and bindery  defects negatively efected the grade of a comic. Now it appears some do not? Its a strange new world:preach:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186 posts
14 hours ago, kav said:

Curious-if that ASM had the extra piece cut off would CGC notice and if so would it be restoration?

You'd like to think they'd catch it.

The reverse order pages is very odd, I can't think how that happened at the print shop? I gave it a 9.0 I figured the page / 's were the result of a blunt slicer when it was cut and so it would be hit too hard.

How was it slabbed? Did they tuck that piece in or something? I'd have thought that book un-slabbable because of the problem and it looks like it's no longer there?

IMG_20190314_231255258.thumb.jpg.877d49e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
631 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dan82 said:

You'd like to think they'd catch it.

The reverse order pages is very odd, I can't think how that happened at the print shop? I gave it a 9.0 I figured the page / 's were the result of a blunt slicer when it was cut and so it would be hit too hard.

How was it slabbed? Did they tuck that piece in or something? I'd have thought that book un-slabbable because of the problem and it looks like it's no longer there?

IMG_20190314_231255258.thumb.jpg.877d49e

It seems that now as long as the book is complete and any errors are a result of manufacturing it will be graded as only how the condition of the paper and the book as a whole is? So I guess thats a good argument. But from a customers stand point I would much rather have my Spidey book in order with properly trimed pages. I would argue that any book 9.0 or higher should be close to the best example of what the book was intended to be. IMO these kinds of defects should have some impact and certainly knock it out of NM territory. But I will make a note of it and grade accordingly in the future.

Says the old guy Flash collector lol!:preach:

Edited by flashlites
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2019 at 9:47 PM, JollyComics said:

Before the book was slabbed.  I guess the graders are unpredictable.

As mentioned previously, years ago though, I cracked several books out multiple times, no pressing or manipulation after, and had books go from 9.0 to 9.2 to 9.4 each time upgraded... Consistency and time will not be a constant with grades, new /different graders and sliding scale of things...

Edited by KryptoSpidey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
631 posts
1 hour ago, KryptoSpidey said:

As mentioned previously, years ago though, I cracked several books out multiple times, no pressing or manipulation after, and had books go from 9.0 to 9.2 to 9.4 each time upgraded... Consistency and time will not be a constant with grades, new /different graders and sliding scale of things...

I agree it is always changing. I got to keep up with the changes. I've seen grading evolve quite a bit over the last 40 years. We tend to get stuck, at least I do in the way things were. But we must allow ourselves to evolve. Things will change again no doubt. 9 to 9.4 does seem like a big swing though. What would you have graded that book?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,470 posts

I'm gunna buy a 5.0 ASM 100 on ebay then keep resubmitimng over and over till it cranks up to a 9.8!!  Using this strategy I will become a very rich flipper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
11 hours ago, flashlites said:

I agree it is always changing. I got to keep up with the changes. I've seen grading evolve quite a bit over the last 40 years. We tend to get stuck, at least I do in the way things were. But we must allow ourselves to evolve. Things will change again no doubt. 9 to 9.4 does seem like a big swing though. What would you have graded that book?

I thought it was a 9.4 all along, it just took 3 submissions for cgc to agree. Lol 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
11 hours ago, kav said:

I'm gunna buy a 5.0 ASM 100 on ebay then keep resubmitimng over and over till it cranks up to a 9.8!!  Using this strategy I will become a very rich flipper.

More likely broke first 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35,927 posts

0006.thumb.jpg.d7ca6201d58086989e5ab93fd8bcc27e.jpg0002.thumb.jpg.7303134d1dde235e290681ccea55a71b.jpg0010.thumb.jpg.f874891248191cf1927b7b42c2285a9c.jpg0027.thumb.jpg.f3fe10f14ccdd52d771f6e5840a29d71.jpg0020.thumb.jpg.0c869f5f27d751afc8e853e2d59ea6ff.jpg0018.thumb.jpg.dfb9b802e697f876511fcfe4de53849c.jpg0014.thumb.jpg.ba5e66a2761349f5550dbee93c3e2721.jpg0043.thumb.jpg.a8673945723f4f2b1d4af5408e0d7d12.jpg0033.thumb.jpg.1c2e38fc34a31ebe44cb81f2bb8c1046.jpg0012.thumb.jpg.9389ee0b8f2797f26cf27316a9aeda43.jpg

On 2/28/2019 at 9:29 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Please use this format when submitting grades:
2001
ASM
DD
FF
GSC
HOS
PPSP
WWT
WW
X-MEN

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,470 posts
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

 

On 2/28/2019 at 6:29 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Please use this format when submitting grades:
2001
ASM
DD
FF
GSC
HOS
PPSP
WWT
WW
X-MEN

 

Grades submitted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
11 11