• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWBN 32 9.8 50k sale!!!
3 3

40 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

This sale is not too different from the Marvel Spotlight 35 CGC 9.8 that sold for $50K a few years ago.

$50K seems to be the new benchmark for 9.8 BA keys.

Marvel Spotlight 35 is an extremely rare book!!

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Sorry. #5 - typo and I forgot to shift the 3

Thats wut I figgered but I saw a comedy op so-

Makes me really glad to be well away from buying physical copies, especially keys, in the current market.

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

If the First appearance of MK is a key BA or otherwise That is just sad. I read MK when it was out but I never considered it more than a poor man's Batman.

The WWBN and Marvel Spotlight issues are quite mediocre, but Moench's Hulk and Moon Knight runs are very readable, with, of course, Bill Sienkiewicz's excellent artwork.  I don't have the third Epic Collection, which has the really good stuff; their final, classic werewolf storyline.

Unlike Batman, there's nothing directly symbiotic about the character's different alter egos, being discrete personalities, so still an interesting take despite the obvious archetype similarity.

I love Moon Knight, and I think he's one of the most criminally underused characters in comics (along with Dr Fate), BUT it's not a 50k book. The character's always had a lot of sizzle, but very little steak. 

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

All I can say.. :screwy: ... gimme a 9.0 for a fraction of the price. Most folks cant tell the difference between a 9.8, 9.6, 9.4. This sale is screaming buy the label, not the book. 

This makes no sense. What’s the difference between this and literally every other 9.8 sale for every book out there?

Also, if you can’t tell the difference between a 9.0 and 9.8 then you probably can’t tell the difference between a 9.0 and an 8.0, so why not just buy an 8.0 at a fraction of the price of a 9.0. Why stop there? You can work that logic all the way down the scale.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:43 AM, The-Collector said:

But it also has white pages and the ever-useful CVA sticker... :baiting:

CVA sticker is probably worth 20K alone. 

I doubt the CVA sticker has anything to do with the final sale price. Any and all 9.8's are  supposed to have superior appearance. 

While Moon Knight has never much appealed to me personally,  the character does have a very loyal and enthusiastic fan base. And a lot of those fans believe Moon Knight will someday get a movie or TV spot. 

But the REAL REASON for the record price is the book's rarity at this grade level. CGC has only graded 18 copies at 9.8. Compare that to other Bronze age keys like Hulk 181 (311) GS X-Men 1 (166) or even a book known to be hard to find in 9.8 - X-Men 94 (34). Worth noting is that GPA hasn't recorded a 9.8 sale for over two years - and the nicest copy otherwise for sale right now is a signed 9.4. 

So what is going on is that this was a RARE OPPORTUNITY that came along for the serious MK collector to own one of the best. If they didn't bid aggressively, there might  not be another chance to acquire a WWBN 32 in 9.8 for years. 

If history is any indicator though, we'll likely see a few more of the 17 copies of WWBN graded 9.8 shake loose in the next year. I seriously doubt the owners of any of the other 17 copies have anything close to $50K invested - and taking a profit will be tempting. We also might see a few others reach that grade as people with a super nice copies will see this sale and be tempted to send it in for grading and encapsulation.  Might be raw copies, might be some 9.4/9.6 copies that get a successful CPR. 

But ultimately - I'm confident WWBN 32 did not sell as well as the other keys mentioned above. So it's going to remain scarce in the better than NM grades.