• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current state of the comic market and who is to blame.

12 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

*yawn*

Let me save everyone the trouble of reading all this jibber jabber and just say what this dude is blabbering on about in one word:

"Variants".

Oddly I knew that would be the case even without reading it.

*yawn*

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I agree with all of that.

I'd love to keep reading Spider-Man and X-Men, but there are too many damned series, too many horrible covers, and I really miss self-contained issues.

I used to have a pretty long pull list that leaned heavily Marvel.  Now I basically only buy DD...

1. Finally, I call for the first THREE issues of any new series to be fully, no fee, no hoop, returnable from ALL publishers.  This includes one-shots and mini-series.  The only way I see to encourage publishers to be cautious and sober about what they put on to the market (and how they promote it) is to make sure there is a financial incentive to do so, and I think that returns are the mechanism with which to do that – where we are all sharing skin in the game

That's probably the best suggestion in the speech. It would make the biggest impact on publishers and force them to create better and less monthly titles. 

41 minutes ago, Phish&Comics said:

That's probably the best suggestion in the speech. It would make the biggest impact on publishers and force them to create better and less monthly titles. 

Or shops could just not buy them (shrug)

As long as people are buying them, why would they change?

20 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Or shops could just not buy them (shrug)

As long as people are buying them, why would they change?

True. But, he mentions earlier in the speech that he would have to order six issues of a new title before the final order cutoff without even being able to sell issue one to customers. That's a pretty big gamble if the title winds up not being any good and no one buys it after the 1st  issue or removes it from their pull list. 

If the first few issues were returnable at least you’d get some of your money back. 

Want a clear and current example of Marvel’s preposterous “flood the zone” strategy?  “War of the Realms” is supposed to be their major Q2 project in 2019, but in the first month alone they’re asking us to buy into TWO issues of the series being released with no sales data, as well as FOUR different tie-in-mini-series.  All six of these comics (which are built around a six issue storyline) will require final orders from us before we’ve sold a single comic to an actual reader.

23 minutes ago, Phish&Comics said:

True. But, he mentions earlier in the speech that he would have to order six issues of a new title before the final order cutoff without even being able to sell issue one to customers. That's a pretty big gamble if the title winds up not being any good and no one buys it after the 1st  issue or removes it from their pull list. 

If the first few issues were returnable at least you’d get some of your money back. 

Right, they are holding the dealer hostage to buy their stuff at their demand. The dealer has no leverage except to speak with their wallet until things change.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

*yawn*

Let me save everyone the trouble of reading all this jibber jabber and just say what this dude is blabbering on about in one word:

"Variants".

*yawn*

-J.

9_9

While that is a major point, it is not even close to being the only problem mentioned.

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

*yawn*

"Variants".

*yawn*

-J.

What a poor point of view you have. 

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:
3 hours ago, Phish&Comics said:

Right, they are holding the dealer hostage to buy their stuff at their demand. The dealer has no leverage except to speak with their wallet until things change.

Yes as a Retailer I would push hard to develop relationships with other publishers away from Marvel and DC. Out west I know Comic Bug does a good job at that.

Edited by fastballspecial