• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Preferred Grade
3 3

44 posts in this topic

Back around 2004 when I seriously started collecting PCH, I was only considering books 8.0 and above. Jump forward to around 2012 and 7.0-7.5s were ok. Today I’m happy with 3 to 6.5s depending on the book. Prices keep rising but I want to keep collecting. It’s a compromise I can live with!

2 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I prefer low grade books with some major flaw like a detached cover keeping the grade down. :/

Action19.jpg

There has to be some other notable flaw aside from a detached cover and wrap for this to only get a 1.5

3 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

If every 4.5 I got looked like this that would be my sweet spot. 

When it comes to fat spine GA I can be perfectly happy at 3.0-5.0 as long as colors are vibrant and no big chunks off the front cover.  Man, I love spine splits!

1E671402-14CD-43C7-A867-F92BEFB570B4.jpeg

Cool book Rick, :takeit:(:

I know of a prominent collector who hates spine splits.There are so many potential defects that a book can exhibit, we’re back to presentabity.

7 hours ago, catman76 said:

I hate grades and don't care. As long as I can see it and read it I don't care what "grade" it's in at all. 

I so wish all other collectors were like you.

I look for color, I'm not fussy about the grades as much as the colors. I learned about GA from a low grade collector so that's where I started, but I'd say 4.0 is the grade I look for when I want to upgrade. With that being said, my books just vary, because I'd rather have a copy of a book I like, rather than none at all. 

Spine splits don't bother me in slabs,but they do in raw books because I'm afraid I'll make them bigger when I look through the book and I shy away from anything brittle or tan.  Since I bought a CR book last year that turned out to have all the pages split once the case was opened, I a little hesitant about those as well.

The one problem I'm seeing lately is a lot of the 6.0's seem to look like the 4.0's of a few years ago.

Cut-off for me, largely, is 5.0. For keys, I try to stay 5.0-6.5 (have dipped below a couple times). I might like 5.5, specifically, there the most. Once you hit grade, you can jump quite a bit in price, depending on the book. 5.5s are great value for bigger books.

I like to put together runs and look for higher grade stuff (7.5 and up) for “regular” parts of a run. 

Generally, however, 5.0 is my floor.