• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glynn Crain Illustration SF art Collection to be sold by HA.COM

115 posts in this topic

One of the greatest  SF art  collections of all time is being auctioned by Ha. Com  on 8-13/2019 and  8-14-2019. So far over 40 pieces have been listed in the coming soon section . To get a idea of the greatness of the collection go to CAF and look at his collection, check out those amazing H.J. Wards stunning...

Edited by Mmehdy

Wow. I'm truly stunned by this. I never thought Glynn would part with his collection in a significant way.  It's the best collection of art I've ever had the privilege of viewing.  It's a museum unto itself. This makes me rather sad to be honest.  :/

9 hours ago, The Voord said:

Been watching Glynn's CAF Galleries for years.  He has a phenomenal collection.  Is he letting EVERYTHING go, or just streamlining?

It is a two day HA.com sale on his material only.....looks like it. Plus if he holds back the best stuff, it will weaken the auction since his collection is online. Collectors will wait for the good stuff....

Edited by Mmehdy

Allow me, @Mmehdy

@Bird

2019 August 13 - 14 The Glynn and Suzanne Crain Science Fiction Collection Illustration Art Signature Auction - Dallas #5442

https://fineart.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=5442

Glynn Crain on CAF

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=62356

Edited by Will_K

I'll be in Paris when the auction hits, at least this first one, for my 25th Anniversary. I was telling my wife "you cannot deny me one of these pieces on our 25th anniversary!" :sumo: And she is all like ":sumo::sumo::sumo:". But I am already ramping up my listings to generate some more cash to stow away for these. Wifey was laughing at me but I think that I should be able to do fine without selling a big book, just lots and lots of little books with this lead time.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

If the pieces are good enough, they will sell very strongly no matter when the auction is.

Respectfully disagree... All of the major auction houses have their biggest sales during tax refund season and Christmas gift-buying season -- like clockwork. You can probably lose 1-3 bids during the summer -- about 10-20% -- that might've been there in the spring and fall.

5 hours ago, BCarter27 said:
6 hours ago, tth2 said:

If the pieces are good enough, they will sell very strongly no matter when the auction is.

Respectfully disagree... All of the major auction houses have their biggest sales during tax refund season and Christmas gift-buying season -- like clockwork. You can probably lose 1-3 bids during the summer -- about 10-20% -- that might've been there in the spring and fall.

August 13 and 14 fall on a Tuesday and Wednesday.  How will that affect the auction??

I don't think the day of week or the time of year will matter much-  this is a next level collection- there will be fewer buyers, but the buyers will NOT be your average comic art art collector, and either end up in museums or private collections that will not be on CAF.  This is REAL art, not that silly comic art stuff full of paste-up and glue and coffee stains.   This stuff isn't going to be flipped by dealers.  One well known dealer will be bidding of course, but he will be bidding for himself if he does, he's seen this collection in person. It is a sight to behold.

23 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

This is REAL art, not that silly comic art stuff full of paste-up and glue and coffee stains.   

You mean the rendering or the subject matter?   The rendering is certainly better...  there's a lot of satisfaction in my mind to owning large, full color, well realized pieces that isn't there with comic art, generally speaking.    I don't know if that makes it 'real art' but certainly there's 'real craftmanship' if that's what you mean.       The subject matter on the other hand is just as silly (just as fun though too).

Edited by Bronty

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

Based on what is listed in the preview so far, he might have an awesome collection, but he's not including any of the good stuff in this auction.

Look through the CAF.    May not change your opinion but you can see the other material there.