• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glynn Crain Illustration SF art Collection to be sold by HA.COM

115 posts in this topic

Well, we are all here because we like comics or at the very least did at one time.   There’s nothing wrong with being excited about and paying well for material that you enjoy or enjoyed in childhood.    

However, if you really like Ron Wilson or whomever, realize that your appreciation of his art comes from your 12 year old self .    Your adult self should know that objectively it’s nothing special, competent work but thats it, most of the time.   The artists generally did the best they could with the talent and time at their disposal but that isn’t necessarily a high bar - just a bar that met the constraints of time and quality sufficient to get it published .

Whether that makes it ‘bad’ or ‘good’... it just makes it what it is, for better and for worse.   Generally speaking that means art that’s fun and memorable to us from childhood and a shared experience amongst us,  but also small, black and white, and lacking in presence.   

Edited by Bronty

12 hours ago, Bronty said:

lol well played but let's not forget comic art IS commercial art.   Its just small and b/w where other types can be large and in full color.   Different art requirements for different types of product.   There's great pieces on both sides of the fence and there's rarely any convincing anyone away from their opinion, anyways.    However, I do think some comic art guys have literally never considered anything besides comic art and I think they'd be surprised at the cool pieces that exist outside of the marvel/dc bubble.  2c

Amen to everything you just said.  When I first saw your display at the Edmonton Expo I was stunned to see the Zelda map, something I stared at many many times as I traversed the game.  Absolutely captured my heart and a constant reminder of the great times I had playing the game.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, vodou said:
On 3/20/2019 at 10:55 PM, tth2 said:

They're probably afraid to do so because then they'd have to come to grips with how mediocre most comic art really is.

OUCH !

My comment wasn't meant as a criticism, only a statement of reality.

Comic artists from the pre-Image era were essentially guys good enough to make a living from being artist but not good enough to make the bigger money that commercial artists could make, and certainly not good enough in terms of creativity as well as technique to make it in the fine art world.   

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

My comment wasn't meant as a criticism, only a statement of reality.

Comic artists from the pre-Image era were essentially guys good enough to make a living from being artist but not good enough to make the bigger money that commercial artists could make, and certainly not good enough in terms of creativity as well as technique to make it in the fine art world.   

I wasn't disagreeing but, as I well know, telling the truth ("reality") isn't what's wanted around here. I'm happy for you take up that mantle though ;)

After all, most here are chasing the naive joy they had at 12 and might not have had since. So...reality...art criticism...etc...nowhere near top o' the checklist.

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

My guess is that's a compromise for the non-ideal date.

Tough collection to put on the calendar. There's crossover among comic art, illustration art, pulps, paperbacks, so all Signature sales need to be dodged to not pull $$ away from them or vice versa. Mid-August makes sense to me. That date alone will probably not hurt prices...placing so much similar material into these markets, all except comic art trending thinner every year, is another matter. Something for all of us heavily concentrated folks to follow and learn from.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, cstojano said:

High grade ECs as well. I hope the Ian Miller art gets added. 

The HJ ward in this auction is outstanding, I also like the WW EC cover recreation.....great stuff and I noticed more GC material coming up in the signature auction which follows if you click on it..the other HJ ward which great is among them

On 5/24/2019 at 8:43 PM, tth2 said:

The auction is now open for bidding!

... for 80 days. :tonofbricks:

That is a long time to wait to bid.

...and not if there is something you really, really want.

Here are my top 3 art items and top comic book in my opinion in the entire sale

1- Kelly Freas  "The Long Road Home"...Kelly's Astounding run of 1950's cover are amazing, including "Martains  go Home" and many other. This painting is a masterpiece., the story is interesting....just the mix of colors and mood on this one. I had heard that Jerrry W had this painting and it cost him about 40K.......its worth it.

2-HJ Ward Chaos and Back...one of the best and rarest SF covers of HJ Ward...great piece.....one of my Favs of that great book out on him by Illustration house.

3-"Harold McCauley "Toffe takes a Trip"...as a former owner, this is a great piece...its what the 50's dream gals are all about. Great pin up/SCFI  Combo....

4-Weird Science #14...stunning...9.8....better then if you bought it off the newsstand with a time machine.....

On 6/5/2019 at 9:33 PM, Mmehdy said:

Here are my top 3 art items and top comic book in my opinion in the entire sale

1- Kelly Freas  "The Long Road Home"...Kelly's Astounding run of 1950's cover are amazing, including "Martains  go Home" and many other. This painting is a masterpiece., the story is interesting....just the mix of colors and mood on this one. I had heard that Jerrry W had this painting and it cost him about 40K.......its worth it.

Makes sense. They were very good friends. I ran into Glynn in an airport once and he said he was just coming home from a get-together of the late collector's friends in remembrance of him. He also helped Jerry produce the Art of Ray Bradbury book.

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

Now you just have to remember to bid 3 months from now. 

I've already made it part of my estate planning....just in case. 

sundial.gif.8f3e7f0a735d95649c775bd4784768ef.gif

Edited by comix4fun