• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glynn Crain Illustration SF art Collection to be sold by HA.COM

115 posts in this topic

20955587%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

This art has this explanation:

This illustration was published as the paperback cover of Great Balls of Fire: The History of Sex in Science Fiction Illustration by Harry Harrison (Pierrot Publishing, 1977). The artist repainted the background of this work in 2002 at the request of Glynn Crain.

I have a copy of that book, great reading, chapter titles like The Whip Cracks Or Is It Kraft-Ebbing? and Is Conan Dating Clark Kent?  This is what the original cover looks like:

9780905310053-uk.jpg

I love the catalogue. So many great and strange images. I hadn't realized that in the pulps, if there's a woman in distress, 95% of the time she's on the left hand side of the cover. Wonder why. 

On 6/15/2019 at 11:32 PM, glendgold said:

I love the catalogue. So many great and strange images. I hadn't realized that in the pulps, if there's a woman in distress, 95% of the time she's on the left hand side of the cover. Wonder why. 

Maybe because we read from left to right. The artist want your eye / brain to see the woman in distress first, then the context (threat, guy who's rescuing her, etc)

For those interested, the recent issue of The Intelligent Collector has an interview with Glynn Crain about his collection. I almost tossed the thing without opening it (sorry Heritage), but glad I didn't. The short of it is that he is moving states and downsizing, which means some key pieces are not being sold.

Chris

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

I think I was a teenager when this auction started, but will be interesting seeing how the market is for a lot of the pieces in this auction.

Yeah, I demographically aged out of this market during the length of this auction. Good luck to those bidding! 

6 hours ago, tth2 said:
21 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

The J. Allen St. John piece has really started to take off.

Deservedly so!  It's awesome! 

I was fortunate to have seen it at Glynn's house. It really is spectacular. It also looks like Glynn's will be getting a great return on it.

4 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I was fortunate to have seen it at Glynn's house. It really is spectacular. It also looks like Glynn's will be getting a great return on it.

Did the neck bother you in person?   The bird's neck looks off to me; I find it distracting and as much I love love love St John, I'm not sure this would be my first choice.   Of course, there isn't much out there to choose from as far as I can tell. 

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

No kidding. That's a dude that could paint!

You know, I once sent a book on  St John to a favorite artist of mine (Tom DuBois, painted a lot of the late 80s to mid 90s Konami covers) and after Tom read the book he came to realize that he'd seen his work before; when Tom when to Art Institute in Chicago, his drawing teacher still had St John pencil samples up for the class to learn from.     The teacher's teacher had been St. John.    Was quite a revelation for Tom at the time and quite the unexpected connection for me between two artists I regarded highly.

Edited by Bronty

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Did the neck bother you in person?   The bird's neck looks off to me; I find it distracting and as much I love love love St John, I'm not sure this would be my first choice.   Of course, there isn't much out there to choose from as far as I can tell. 

In person the neck looked spectacular.