• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glynn Crain Illustration SF art Collection to be sold by HA.COM

115 posts in this topic

I love the art but it's out of my league so I don't know the market. It looks like almost everything went way over estimates (and I know houses are always conservative on estimates)... So many one of a kind pieces and many covers from iconic books i've had or have.

Were these results good, great or spectacular? A few seemed like the latter (The Asimov Gnome Press Foundation cover, for instance, was many multiples of the estimate)

I'm really shocked the results were as strong as they were considering the overall illustration art market. I guess we're still in the demographic sweet spot for this scifi material and the marketing of this collection generated enough excitement to override the summertime selling slump. I stand corrected!

Is the second wave of material this high-end or no?

Back to comics... I found it interesting that the Schultz 2015 piece was so far ahead of the vintage covers. Looks like people pay up for Schultz for one reason regardless of vintage: Hannah.

Edited by BCarter27

I think we are past demographic sweet spots on that material tbh but it’s really nice art.... I imagine an 50k HJ Ward painting presents an awful lot better than a 50k Joe Schmucklack Drekvengers cover, so the HJ Ward will have it’s fans

Edited by Bronty

On 8/13/2019 at 10:59 AM, Bronty said:

I love love love St John

A class unto himself.  Found the prices to be very strong on almost every lot.  One's I was following/bidding on but didn't win included Krenkel's good but not great Land before Time illustration $3500, Ken Barr's fantastic book cover $4750, Severin's watercolor of photocopied line art for a staggering $7500 and all the pulps.  Prices remind me of the Berk auction.  

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I'm really shocked the results were as strong as they were considering the overall illustration art market. I guess we're still in the demographic sweet spot for this scifi material and the marketing of this collection generated enough excitement to override the summertime selling slump. I stand corrected!

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

I think we are past demographic sweet spots on that material tbh but it’s really nice art.... I imagine an 50k HJ Ward painting presents an awful lot better than a 50k Joe Schmucklack Drekvengers cover, so the HJ Ward will have it’s fans

I, too, am surprised about the strength of the results.  I can only surmise that, despite being past the demographic sweet spots on this material, there are still enough buyers in this cohort of 50, 60 and 70 somethings to support a sale of quality material like this in 2019.  That said, I suspect that, if the material was to be re-sold 20 years from now, it would be/will be a very different story. 

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I, too, am surprised about the strength of the results.  I can only surmise that, despite being past the demographic sweet spots on this material, there are still enough buyers in this cohort of 50, 60 and 70 somethings to support a sale of quality material like this in 2019.  That said, I suspect that, if the material was to be re-sold 20 years from now, it would be/will be a very different story. 

This is not my area but...

I think part of the reason for strong results is that it’s a nice grouping of difficult material all for sale at once.  

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

This is not my area but...

I think part of the reason for strong results is that it’s a nice grouping of difficult material all for sale at once.  

Good point; I'm sure that helped, and Heritage I'm sure did everything they could to bring in the buyers.  Which is probably why the auction took so long; they needed time to track down all the geezers who might be interested in this material that don't use e-mail or social media. :p 

On 8/14/2019 at 12:29 PM, delekkerste said:
On 8/14/2019 at 11:40 AM, tth2 said:

The results on the pieces I was following were pretty spectacular.

I guess this is the time to be selling... :idea: 

I'm actually leaning this way.  Although I like a good deal as much as the next guy, I've never been a cheapskate when it comes to books or OA that I really like/want.  But when in auction after auction I find myself not even close to being the underbidder anymore, let alone winning, it's generally a sign that it's time for me to sell.

This formula has generally served me well during my collecting career.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I was watching a lot more books than artwork and prices seemed very strong.  I really wanted to snag Man in the High Castle but it closed at $5250.

Yeah, the prices of the books were crazy too.  I follow sales of ERB first editions with original dust jackets and the prices in this auction were stunning.