• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glynn Crain Illustration SF art Collection to be sold by HA.COM

115 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, vodou said:

I don't know about Texas or HA but in general with fine art estimates give the auctioneer a floor to bid up to with chandelier bids, can indicate a reserve or a guarantee. By posting them nobody can say the House wasn't being transparent ;)

My thought as well, the estimate usually suggests the reserve though I loathe the practice (you can tell I have never auctioned a piece with any of the houses) and hope HA never institutes the PS or PIH model. And then the real big houses set very low estimates to give the peasants like me a hope and dream they can actually win x item. I am not well versed the psychology of the auction process and how estimated fit into that. But as a newbie to the illustration market I do like seeing estimates on artists I know little about as a general gauge of the market range. So much for the art speaking for itself. 

2 hours ago, vodou said:

I don't know about Texas or HA but in general with fine art estimates give the auctioneer a floor to bid up to with chandelier bids, can indicate a reserve or a guarantee. By posting them nobody can say the House wasn't being transparent ;)

Usually HA discourages reserves don't they?  

I see estimates as potentially discouraging some bidders and they only serve to make the auction house look silly should the item sell for multiples above the estimate.

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

...and hope HA never institutes the PS or PIH model.

I think they already have, if not overtly. That's how you get a single BIG "live" bid on most of the six/seven figure Frazettas.

19 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I see estimates as potentially discouraging some bidders and they only serve to make the auction house look silly should the item sell for multiples above the estimate.

Not silly. "Over" estimate, especially if on a notable lot or the sale as a whole is a powerful marketing tool for gathering quality consignments for future sales. This is big business, very little is left to chance (re: The House's pov).

3 hours ago, vodou said:

I think they already have, if not overtly. That's how you get a single BIG "live" bid on most of the six/seven figure Frazettas.

Not silly. "Over" estimate, especially if on a notable lot or the sale as a whole is a powerful marketing tool for gathering quality consignments for future sales. This is big business, very little is left to chance (re: The House's pov).

It just makes me think that the AH didn't know what the hell they were looking at in the first place if the final sale price is that high over estimate...

23 hours ago, delekkerste said:
On 3/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, tth2 said:

In fact, I'd love to see Heritage jack up its BP for comics/comic art to 35% to see if that'll drive more competitors bidders away. 

Except that the quality of their consignments would plummet by 95% if that happened.   

Probably not, as consignors would just negotiate a rebate on the BP to get to the same net amount.  It would only impact the mathematically illiterate bidders.  

17 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Usually HA discourages reserves don't they?  

Yes, but in their art auctions they'll usually allow the consignor to set the opening bid price, which will not be $1 like in their comic/comic art auctions.

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

Probably not, as consignors would just negotiate a rebate on the BP to get to the same net amount.

If they did that, then there would be no point for Heritage to jack up their rates at all. They'd make the same amount on the large consignments and lose a staggering amount of low and medium-end consignments. 

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:
5 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Probably not, as consignors would just negotiate a rebate on the BP to get to the same net amount.

If they did that, then there would be no point for Heritage to jack up their rates at all. They'd make the same amount on the large consignments and lose a staggering amount of low and medium-end consignments. 

It's like hotel room rack rate or airline full fare tickets.  Nobody even semi-knowledgeable ever pays that, but the hotels/airlines maintain the rates because every now and then some sucker actually pays it.

49 minutes ago, tth2 said:

It's like hotel room rack rate or airline full fare tickets.  Nobody even semi-knowledgeable ever pays that, but the hotels/airlines maintain the rates because every now and then some sucker actually pays it.

Agree. And I think there are significantly more ignorant consigning collectors than there are air/hotel travelers. Also...no competitive advertising (Priceline!) in mass media, only the occasional veiled reference on message boards...

On 3/5/2019 at 12:55 PM, delekkerste said:

I don't know the answer to that, but, when I saw his Wally Wood Weird Science cover show up at Heritage last year, I was pretty surprised, and took it as a sign that something significant had changed regarding his collecting aims, as he had shown no interest at all in letting it go when I approached him about it 2 years prior.  As such, I suppose I'm not surprised to see more of his excellent pieces hit the auction block.

I believe he used to own almost all of the Wood sci-fi covers but has let most of them go over the years.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:24 AM, Bronty said:

You mean the rendering or the subject matter?   The rendering is certainly better...  there's a lot of satisfaction in my mind to owning large, full color, well realized pieces that isn't there with comic art, generally speaking.    I don't know if that makes it 'real art' but certainly there's 'real craftmanship' if that's what you mean.       The subject matter on the other hand is just as silly (just as fun though too).

Oh come on man, next you'll be pushing video game art and commercial art as real art.....   :wishluck:

Edited by thehumantorch

12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Oh come on man, next you'll be pushing video game art and commercial art as real art.....   :wishluck:

lol well played but let's not forget comic art IS commercial art.   Its just small and b/w where other types can be large and in full color.   Different art requirements for different types of product.   There's great pieces on both sides of the fence and there's rarely any convincing anyone away from their opinion, anyways.    However, I do think some comic art guys have literally never considered anything besides comic art and I think they'd be surprised at the cool pieces that exist outside of the marvel/dc bubble.  2c

Edited by Bronty

52 minutes ago, Bronty said:

However, I do think some comic art guys have literally never considered anything besides comic art and I think they'd be surprised at the cool pieces that exist outside of the marvel/dc bubble.  2c

:gossip: Stop giving out ideas!

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

However, I do think some comic art guys have literally never considered anything besides comic art and I think they'd be surprised at the cool pieces that exist outside of the marvel/dc bubble. 

They're probably afraid to do so because then they'd have to come to grips with how mediocre most comic art really is.