Glynn Crain Illustration SF art Collection to be sold by HA.COM

88 posts in this topic

53,453 posts
16 hours ago, glendgold said:

I think they should add the feature in which any new bid adds another three months to the clock. 

:roflmao:

146 posts

20955587%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

This art has this explanation:

This illustration was published as the paperback cover of Great Balls of Fire: The History of Sex in Science Fiction Illustration by Harry Harrison (Pierrot Publishing, 1977). The artist repainted the background of this work in 2002 at the request of Glynn Crain.

I have a copy of that book, great reading, chapter titles like The Whip Cracks Or Is It Kraft-Ebbing? and Is Conan Dating Clark Kent?  This is what the original cover looks like:

9780905310053-uk.jpg

53,453 posts

When I see images like that, I'm like "No wonder we can't get rid of the stereotypes!"

1,741 posts

I own a copy of that book too, but my cover looks like this.... interesting. 

10BBCD04-4115-4F6D-9007-3EAB5AEAA7BC.jpeg

824 posts

I love the catalogue. So many great and strange images. I hadn't realized that in the pulps, if there's a woman in distress, 95% of the time she's on the left hand side of the cover. Wonder why. 

5,027 posts

Just picked up my copy today...great catalog...its much better than the computer in many ways...what a collection ...

274 posts
On 6/15/2019 at 11:32 PM, glendgold said:

I love the catalogue. So many great and strange images. I hadn't realized that in the pulps, if there's a woman in distress, 95% of the time she's on the left hand side of the cover. Wonder why. 

Maybe because we read from left to right. The artist want your eye / brain to see the woman in distress first, then the context (threat, guy who's rescuing her, etc)