• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU AFFORD TO SELL?
5 5

109 posts in this topic

A recent post got me thinking, at some point, many long-time collectors have had to sell one or many of there most prized books for personal reasons with the intent to buy them back at a later date. However, in today's market things have changed so what book(s) do you own that if you sold you could not afford to replace because of there CMV?

4 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

A recent post got me thinking, at some point, many long-time collectors have had to sell one or many of there most prized books for personal reasons with the intent to buy them back at a later date. However, in today's market things have changed so what book(s) do you own that if you sold you could not afford to replace because of there CMV?

What is CMV ?

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

More Fun 7 - I have a nice copy with superior paper quality, albeit the cover colors are faded.

It would simply be an impossible book to replace, at any price.

I remember that book!

Interesting idea.. Some books are quite difficult to replace, I'm sure, but I might have a couple that I can't afford to keep because of CMV.  Allows me to buy other books that I could not otherwise afford to buy..??  Put profit to work a lil bit maybe..?  Make a few new friends and connections along the way too.

Great question!

I had to sell 90% of my collection ~5 years ago when I was unemployed.

Of that, there were only a handful of books I knew I would never be able to replace (i.e., would be unwilling to pay even then-current market value for, let alone today's). The flipside is there are plenty of books I sold then that I'd be happy to re-buy at current market values -- 5.0-5.5 copies of Batman 5-10; ~5.0 copies of early All-American Green Lantern issues (18-23 range); 5.5-6.0 copies of Hulk 3-6; Avengers # 1 or X-Men # 1 in CGC 3.0; mid-grade raw copies (raw 7.0) of ASM 129, X-Men 94, etc.

That said, here are the books I owned in 2014 but will likely never own again:

- Showcase # 4, CGC 3.0

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles # 1, CGC 5.0

- Strange Tales # 110, CGC 5.5

- Star Wars # 4 ($.35 cent), CGC 7.0