• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU AFFORD TO SELL?
5 5

109 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, Robot Man said:

About 2/3ds of my collection are books I bought many years ago for very good prices. Most, I would never be able to repurchase if I sold them off. So, I keep them and sell off stuff I just don't need anymore or have upgraded.

These are just a few of my most favorite books that if sold, I would never get back....

comtalesofterror1.jpg

comgiantcom12.jpg

comcaptamericaannual.jpg

I've always enjoyed most of your "toughies" the first Tales of Terror annual -- too cool! I want to say you got it from Gary Colabuono? (a nicer guy there isn't!)

12 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

We could start a sister thread to this one: 

CAN YOU STILL AFFORD TO COLLECT GOLDEN AGE IN 2019?

Technically, I can! But it'll just be lower grade, or a non-smoking hot cover or genre. For example PCH is always my main draw, and the obvious covers are getting a lot of attention, but it's difficult for everything to be equally hot, so there's often something going under the radar that I am in need of a copy. Plenty of room for all. :)

25 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

We could start a sister thread to this one: 

CAN YOU STILL AFFORD TO COLLECT GOLDEN AGE IN 2019?

Not without me lowering my expectations in terms of grade and popularity of the books I collect. It also has required me to sell of part of my collection to fund these purchases.

I guess that I could always collect Westerns...

Interesting that this came up now.  I had been wanting to upgrade my copy of Weird Mysteries #6 for ages, and finally did so last night with Heritage, but it was just a slight upgrade, and cost me up the yang-yang.  I just can't believe how much PCH has gone up in the last few years!  Here's my current copy, which I might offer in the classified section once I receive the purchase;  

Weird Mysteries 6.jpg

Edited by fifties

4 hours ago, originalisbest said:

I've always enjoyed most of your "toughies" the first Tales of Terror annual -- too cool! I want to say you got it from Gary Colabuono? (a nicer guy there isn't!)

Yes. I got it from him on eBay when he first started listing there. At the time, I thought I paid a pretty stiff price but now. :roflmao:  And, yes he is one of the best guys in the biz...

3 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Technically, I can! But it'll just be lower grade, or a non-smoking hot cover or genre. For example PCH is always my main draw, and the obvious covers are getting a lot of attention, but it's difficult for everything to be equally hot, so there's often something going under the radar that I am in need of a copy. Plenty of room for all. :)

Nearly ALL PCH is going through the roof these days including even ACG and EC’s. Good thing I discovered them early in my collecting days. I sure wouldn’t be able to afford my own collection anymore...

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nearly ALL PCH is going through the roof these days including even ACG and EC’s. Good thing I discovered them early in my collecting days. I sure wouldn’t be able to afford my own collection anymore...

True enough! But I just buy here and there where I can. PCH has gone through a couple hot/cold cycles since I started collecting the genre. :)

On 3/1/2019 at 10:05 PM, Frank Mozz said:

A recent post got me thinking, at some point, many long-time collectors have had to sell one or many of there most prized books for personal reasons with the intent to buy them back at a later date. However, in today's market things have changed so what book(s) do you own that if you sold you could not afford to replace because of there CMV?

TMTC xD