• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU AFFORD TO SELL?
5 5

109 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2019 at 1:05 PM, circumstances said:
On 4/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I like the idea of lining the casket, but no.  My plan is when I quit the practice of law in 6 years, at the age of 70, I’ll sell the books and buy a Swiss chalet.  Or, depending on the sale, maybe a double wide

I'm an attorney as well.

No definite plans, but I will likely sell everything sometime during the year after I retire.

I am not an attorney. I never plan on retiring.

9 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I am not an attorney. I never plan on retiring.

I work full time in a very high stress position. I will retire from that in the next five to ten years.

I doubt I'll ever retire from being an attorney, a professional musician, and comic-collection-liquidator.

I don't think I have anything particular that I couldn't replace, but there are lots of things I wouldn't replace at CMV. And cumulatively I certainly couldn't reproduce the collection I have if I needed to start today. I could still get the Dell funny animal collection, but not much else. The exchange rate hasn't helped at all.

Here's an example. I bought this book for $360 in 2012 when AUD = USD. Now there's a similar copy in the marketplace for US$900 = A$1350 at today's exchange. I wouldn't be buying it at anything like that price. (Note: I'm not saying the other one is overpriced. I'm not sure what CMV is.)

large.Wings_089_sm.jpg.c31afd277d35c7adf2226d8c6c76d997.jpg

I don’t think there’s anything I’ve sold that I couldn’t buy back; a few would just hurt more than others.    I would be unwilling to rebuy some but thankfully I can’t say unable.    That’s either a reflection on having a really crappy collection :insane: , or something else

Edited by Bronty

On 12/15/2019 at 12:45 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 12/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, Bronty said:

I don’t think there’s anything I’ve sold that I couldn’t buy back; a few would just hurt more than others.

+1

I think this really depends on when you had actually purchased your books that you are now thinking of selling.  hm

Especially if it was from way back in the days like Jon Berk and some of the other early collectors like him.  Especially when he himself acknowledges that he would never be able to reacquire most of the books in his huge collection which he had, if he had to pay according to today's much higher and inflated market prices.  :frown: