• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab ? Issue #2
3 3

332 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Is Hollywood still around?  Been a minute since I've seen that guy.

HW is still around!

He was just asking us if he should stock up on ASM 798 Red Goblin/Normie Goblin appearances

It was Carnage related in a roundabout way! 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:08 AM, BITCOINSWAMI said:

No clue why you guys always trolling I am actually looking out for steals and deals and comics with value I just found rare comics on a Facebook listing which to the naked eye might seen worthless or a  drek comic but I do believe these have value because it's one of a kind. You normally dont see these types of vintage comics . I might scoop these up 

Which one is more valuable meteor man or kool aid man ?  Kool aid is still popular dont think meteor man is really a thing anymore 

20190330_050437.jpg

1358691-meteor_man_the_movie_v1_001.jpg

628987.jpg

You are so wrong and insane that I doubt I'm at work posting a response to this.

This has to be some sort of nightmare...

On 3/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, mattn792 said:

Is Hollywood still around?  Been a minute since I've seen that guy.

He avoids the General sub-forum in an attempt to make ridiculous posts elsewhere to avoid criticism.

FYI - it isn't working. He's getting lambasted elsewhere, too...

Let's get back to the real issue at hand here: VHS tapes.

There is a thriving market for hard to find VHS stuff, particularly among horror fans. The old oversized cardboard boxes, the nice big clamshells, there are still a lot of titles that sell in the $50-$200+ area. Mass market stuff like Disney is dead as can be, true, but there is still a dedicated fanbase for the format. Personally, I'm a laserdisc collector. It's true that most of the titles in the format were later reissued on DVD and Blu Ray, but there are still a handful that aren't, such as the original theatrical cuts of the Star Wars flicks. Plus the large artwork is great to display. I have my LD player running through a DVD recorder with a decent comb filter, and true, it still doesn't quite hit DVD quality in resolution. But for some movies, it gets the job done. 

There are collectors for every form of media ever created, and there is content in every format that sells well. True, 90% of it is worthless, but that 10% is what keeps the flea market and thrift store hunt alive!

14 hours ago, F For Fake said:

...It's true that most of the titles in the format were later reissued on DVD and Blu Ray, but there are still a handful that aren't, such as the original theatrical cuts of the Star Wars flicks...

That's not true. The original trilogy theatrical cuts were released on disc once in 2008. Sealed sets typically go for hundreds, but I found a sealed set at a used bookstore type-place for $25.

Edited by TwoPiece
Grammar correction.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

That's not true. The original trilogy theatrical cuts were released on disc once in 2008. Sealed sets typically go for hundreds, but I found a sealed set at a used bookstore type-place for $25.

It actually is true! The 2008 DVD is not the original, untampered theatrical version. It's the version that most people THINK of as the original, as it's a version of the one most of us grew up with. But Lucas started monkeying with things as soon as they hit theaters and then home video, and every successive iteration of the films had small changes made. Most of them aren't huge content changes, like you saw in the Special Editions. A lot of the changes are small, color timing, sound effects etc.

The 2008 DVD version is just the same master used on the THX lasers from the mid-90's (which itself had already been tampered with numerous times) dumped onto a DVD. Thanks for nothin', George!

If you want the truly as close to theatrical version as you can get release of Star Wars trilogy, you need the Japanese Special Collection lasers from 1986 (I think...maybe 1987). 

11 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

It actually is true! The 2008 DVD is not the original, untampered theatrical version. It's the version that most people THINK of as the original, as it's a version of the one most of us grew up with. But Lucas started monkeying with things as soon as they hit theaters and then home video, and every successive iteration of the films had small changes made. Most of them aren't huge content changes, like you saw in the Special Editions. A lot of the changes are small, color timing, sound effects etc.

The 2008 DVD version is just the same master used on the THX lasers from the mid-90's (which itself had already been tampered with numerous times) dumped onto a DVD. Thanks for nothin', George!

If you want the truly as close to theatrical version as you can get release of Star Wars trilogy, you need the Japanese Special Collection lasers from 1986 (I think...maybe 1987). 

It isn't. The 2008 6-disc release contains both the re-edited versions and the original theatrical cuts.

Edit: This box set is the only disc release for the original theatrical cuts. The lengths of the 3 "theatrical cut" DVDs is exactly the same as my dad's VHS tapes from the 80's. It has the same crappy non-cylindrical lightsaber edits, original sounds, etc on 3 of the 6 DVDs inside. The other 3 are digitally and audibly remastered with less editing than the 1990's CGI-bloated re-releases.

51wdAFSITQL._SY445_.jpg

Edited by TwoPiece

28 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It isn't. The 2008 6-disc release contains both the re-edited versions and the original theatrical cuts.

Edit: This box set is the only disc release for the original theatrical cuts. The lengths of the 3 "theatrical cut" DVDs is exactly the same as my dad's VHS tapes from the 80's. It has the same crappy non-cylindrical lightsaber edits, original sounds, etc on 3 of the 6 DVDs inside. The other 3 are digitally and audibly remastered with less editing than the 1990's CGI-bloated re-releases.

51wdAFSITQL._SY445_.jpg

This is what I'm saying to you: the VHS versions from the 80's had already been tampered with. The Japanese lasers hadn't.

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This is what I'm saying to you: the VHS versions from the 80's had already been tampered with. The Japanese lasers hadn't.

This propaganda is incorrect:

"1986-1992 Version:

This was the golden era for standard definition releases of the Star Wars films on home video. The analog tape master that was created for this release of Star Wars was never tampered with with any attempt to clean the image, or filter any detail. No new material was added, and there are no digital effects to be seen. An interpositive was scanned, and that’s essentially it. These widescreen masters were created in 1986, and served as the home video masters that were used up until 1993 for Laserdisc releases of the trilogy. They exhibit occasional print wear, with dirt and scratches showing up on screen. This was also the first time that the film was remixed for Dolby Surround, the home video equivalent of Dolby Stereo. Previous releases of the film were in mono sound only, assumed to be created from a stereo sound master used to make 35mm prints of the movies."

13 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

VHS copies of Pluto Nash are also a rock solid investment, SWAMPGAS should go all in on those.

Swampy needs to diversify his portfolio: get some VHS copies Of Murder She Wrote