• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic art and customs fees

4 posts in this topic

Does anybody have experience with importing comic art from Europe into the US? I bought a page for around USD 3,500 in Sweden and was wondering what I have to expect with regards to costumes fees if the seller declares the full value on the package. 

On the CBP website I found the following statement:

Original works of art (i.e. paintings, drawings, pastels, collages and decorative plaques) with or without their frames are duty-free under Chapter 97 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS).

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/360/~/importing-personal-and-commercial-original-works-of-art%2C-paintings%2C-drawings%2C

This would lead me to believe that a comic art page would be exempt from customs fees, but I wanted to hear your opinions/experiences.

I also would appreciate if anybody could let me know how the seller should label/declare the content of the package on the customs form. Is this something like: illustration, comic art, artwork, drawing?

Thanks so much!

Edited by oldwhy

6 hours ago, oldwhy said:

Does anybody have experience with importing comic art from Europe into the US? I bought a page for around USD 3,500 in Sweden and was wondering what I have to expect with regards to costumes fees if the seller declares the full value on the package. 

On the CBP website I found the following statement:

Original works of art (i.e. paintings, drawings, pastels, collages and decorative plaques) with or without their frames are duty-free under Chapter 97 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS).

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/360/~/importing-personal-and-commercial-original-works-of-art%2C-paintings%2C-drawings%2C

This would lead me to believe that a comic art page would be exempt from customs fees, but I wanted to hear your opinions/experiences.

I also would appreciate if anybody could let me know how the seller should label/declare the content of the package on the customs form. Is this something like: illustration, comic art, artwork, drawing?

Thanks so much!

I'm reading that link the same way you are and my experience, for works as much as mid-five figures fully declared out of Europe and Japan, has been that nobody cares. At least not in any way that was ever visible to me. Packages weren't opened/rifled, no forms or fees, duties etc were ever requested, assessed or paid...in all ways these it was just like somebody in one state sending something to me in another state. So far so good that Customs doesn't care about art or comic art, let's hope that doesn't change (though I think it will!)

Importing into the U.S. is not a problem if the seller declares item as "hand drawn original art,".  Since it will be disclosed on the shipping label be sure the item is insured.

So, for example, someone ships the item via Fedex, the customs form will ask what the item is and declared monetary value.  The seller writes the key phrase or some variation.

"Original painting"

"Original drawings"

"Hand drawn original art"

Etc

FedEx will deliver the package and you will receive a customs invoice of $0.00 from FedEx.

Customs usually won't open the package to inspect due to volume but these days you never know.