• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Whale" Collection Auctions which are currently being sold
2 2

15 posts in this topic

As our generation is slowing phasing out. There are going to be a number of Original or Giant "Whale" collections coming to the market. This is just the beginning of the wave. These collections were amassed over many years thus the cost of them has been spread out over time. New whale collections can be created, it just very expensive and unless  you have "oil" money like the "impossible" collection it is going to be extremely rare that a newly created collection will come market. Nobody has any idea about the great material out there still...which is very exciting to us who still collect. I start this topic with an incredible collection coming to market on August 13, and 14  of this year on Ha.com. As I posted on the OA section, but I know there are a number of "pulp" collectors who also collect GA this is the form where we should discuss up coming "Whale" collections. I believe there are two collections that are currently on the market that can qualify for that. I foreseen a number of GA collections coming to the market place in the next five years both to Ha and CC.

1-Glynn Crain illustration SF/Fantasty collection: Pulp collections this is your chance to get some the greatest material ever offered on that market, along with some  22 classic wally wood pieces. If you go to Comicartfans.com and select H. J. Ward and click on the Glynn Crain name...get ready to be amazed. I believe this collection was accumulated over many decades of serious collecting. This auction just is his collection, I have never seen that before, I have seen the Billy Wright collection go, but that was with the other auctions at the same time. Check it out and the H.J. Wards etc. This collection has taken over 40 years to put together.

2- The complete Centaur collection. , I don't recall ever seeing a complete collection auctioned at the same time. This is a collecting milestone and the books are just outstanding.

Look for other "whale" collectors to request a seperate auction for their  collection. Certainly all that hard work should be acknowledged.

There was old advertising slogan...When E.F. Hutton speaks...then there is silence. The same with these collections.......get ready for a great ride this year and in the future.

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

There are going to be a number of Original or Giant "Whale" collections coming to the market.

Well, when is your collection or Theo's collection coming to the market?  :devil:

Seriously though, the collection which I think would be one of the biggest is Bangzoom's collection, which would be an absolute monster if it ever came to market.  :luhv:

Just now, Mmehdy said:

August 13, 2019 and August 14,2019 Special Ha illustration auction

I didn’t see an auction at those dates in the upcoming auctions schedule

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I didn’t see an auction at those dates in the upcoming auctions schedule

go to ha.com website, click on Illustration  Art,  then click on auction schedule...see the coming look at 8/13/ 2019-Crain collection, click that there 41 lots listed so far....

Just now, telerites said:

Hey Mitch

I posted your other thread about this above also.

thanks, 40 years in the making, what a collection, Barry Smith Conan  pages, etc...wide variety ....no way anybody could assemble  that type of quality collection starting  today

8 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

go to ha.com website, click on Illustration  Art,  then click on auction schedule...see the coming look at 8/13/ 2019-Crain collection, click that there 41 lots listed so far....

Thanks I was at comics.Ha.com and couldn’t find it that way but I did find the European art auction which has some beautiful pieces as well

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

There was old advertising slogan...When E.F. Hutton speaks...then there is silence. The same with these collections.......get ready for a great ride this year and in the future.

I have to say, it was "When E.F. Hutton talks, people listen."  One of the greatest taglines ever.

Edited by Arkadin