• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bernie Wrightson Hulk Project

12 posts in this topic

Posted this in the bronze age forum but figured might get some more looks here.

Was going through some beater comics this evening (something I rarely get to do anymore) and read this in the letters page. 

I know Wrightson did the cover for Hulk 197 (maybe he was supposed to do the whole issue??) but that is the only work I am aware of that he did in the Hulk run around 1977. Starlin did issue #222. Which issue was Bernie supposed to be the guest artist on? 

Anyone have any additional information about this? If the 5 pages still exist it would be the only Wrightson interior artwork for the Hulk. 

821287964_hulk213.thumb.jpg.a19a84f1b43ef41e7d6d866bb401c1f4.jpg

GCD shows Sal Buscema as the only penciller on 197 except for cover-anyone know different about what issue his story appeared in if ever?

Edited by kav

The letter suggests there was an announcement a while back, maybe there was more info if we can find the issue. If it's any clue, the only issues of the Len Wein run not penciled by the long time regulars (Trimpe/ Buscema) were 222 (Starlin) and the Doc Sampson stand alone 218.

6 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

The letter suggests there was an announcement a while back, maybe there was more info if we can find the issue. If it's any clue, the only issues of the Len Wein run not penciled by the long time regulars (Trimpe/ Buscema) were 222 (Starlin) and the Doc Sampson stand alone 218.

Google search and image search also ebay search shows no hits for Wrightson Hulk nor does it appear in his wiki bibliography.  Just the 197 cover.  Apparently he never finished the project but the pages he did complete are out there....waiting.....watching.....

Screenshot 2019-03-03 at 10.32.03 PM.png

2 hours ago, jools&jim said:

My guess is that whatever it was, it eventually morphed into this about a decade later...

613745.jpg.1109c4eb9463846489863ae0d1fc19bb.jpg

Maybe, but Starlin did have an individual issue published. The only two I can think of that might be able to shed some light on this is Sal Buscema or Joe Staton, as they were involved in the Hulk run back then. 

Maybe someone could ask Starlin?  If anything, he might be able to shed some light on the origin of their collaboration on the graphic novel, and possibly rule it out as the Wrightson story mentioned in the '70s lettercol...

12 hours ago, joeypost said:

Thanks. It is another clue, but doesn't shed a lot of light. Talking to someone who was "there" seems to be the best way to figure this one out. 

What about Marv Wolfman? 

http://www.marvwolfman.com/marv/frontpage.html

He and Wein were close friends, and came up together at Marvel...