• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did I just buy?

10 posts in this topic

So I had to go food shopping this afternoon.  (Making tacos tonight, I'll send one to anyone who can help me figure this out).  On the way back home as I'm driving I see this place with a giant life size Darth Vader out by the road with a sign "Now Open Sundays" I figure, ok cool lets check this place out.  Turns out it's an indoor antiques mall.  Nice place, really huge, very friendly staff.  Walking around I see a bunch of cool stuff (original Beatles posters, old 1960s Jets posters, heck they even had the 2 1/2 foot working batman toy display from Toys R Us ($600 if anyone wants it).  I go into one part where they have a couple old arcade cabinets and I see the item I bought below laying there.  I saw the price tag and didn't even bother to look it over.  Just grabbed it cause I love it and the price was right.  Get home, put the groceries away and start looking at it.  On the back is the framers sticker, oddly enough from a framing shop in my home town I have known for decades.  They are known to be very expensive and only do custom jobs.   Then I notice that it's double matted (again, not cheap).  Dimensions are 27" x 24", so the frame alone would be several hundred bucks.  So... what the heck is it?  I know it's not the original Death Dealer (duh) and it doesn't look like Franzetta's signature.  It's airbrush on canvas and it looks to be dated 1982.  Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

IMG_0610.jpg

57333649447__D1A8898C-6F7C-4AA9-B937-9D6FC706F3F6.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

57333508173__103B6EB2-133C-4C19-A787-EF7B578D6198.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

57333674108__365D79C9-624E-4790-AEEA-2572544B3D9F.jpg

It's a fan copy...could be by anyone. Unless you can identify it as a specific "name" artist...it's worth $100-$350 depending how fast you want to dump it on eBay (or just hang on it because unless you're a codingtechgurustartup superstar the $4m-ish for the real one is gonna be out of your reach!)

46 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Frazetta fan art or Molly Hatchett (album cover 1978) enthusiast...

5BB1867D-057C-4A6C-AE15-CC8E05E26A4C.jpeg.50c1bd9775921b13580d8c28fa117f81.jpeg

The store marked it on the receipt as "Molly Hatchet Album Art" which I thought was hilarious.  

22 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

if this was bought in NJ, I bet it was on a t-shirt sold at seaside heights as some point

Yes, it was bought in NJ.  As was the framer, so it's been in NJ for some time.