• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's BATWOMAN TV Show (2019)
1 1

155 posts in this topic

‘Batwoman’ series premiere preview: The beginning of another incredible journey

Going into the Batwoman series premiere, I honestly expected to be disappointed. Ruby Rose’s brief performance in the Elseworlds crossover last year didn’t really leave me wanting to see more of Kate Kane. In fact, I kind of hoped the series wouldn’t have moved forward.

Boy, was I stupid.

Kate Kane’s journey, and this take on Gotham, seems like the best next step for the Arrow-verse as Oliver Queen and Star City leave us all. It’s different than I think most people are expecting, and it definitely feels like a DC show on The CW… take that as you will.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of room for Batwoman to grow and improve. It’s not, like, the best thing I’ve ever watched by any means. As with any pilot episode, the Batwoman series premiere feels a little awkward, slow, and the chemistry between the characters (and actors) just isn’t quite there yet.

That said, there’s a lot I was actually extremely impressed by. I’m very excited to see where the story goes, and what the writers do, with their season order. It’s clear the pilot wasn’t meant to set up too much of a story, but a few very interesting events unfold that begin the series with a jolt, rather than a bang as most series premieres often do.

All in all, what left me the most excited after watching the Batwoman series premiere was the ending. In just the last few minutes, several twists are thrown at Kate, including one that dramatically shifts how the story will unfold as Batwoman’s rise in Gotham City is fought by Alice and the Wonderland gang.

Ruby Rose is not, and never will be, Australia's greatest contributor to the world of acting.

Probably her best was in Orange is the new black, but she really is very poor in everything else I have seen (local stuff)

I will seriously have a hard time believing she can hold a major show together - especially as the lead.

She's the Arrowverse's Fish Mooney

It was okay.  They took a lot of liberties with the character origin for no apparent reason that got annoying.

The acting was on par with most CW shows.  Not Syfy channel bad, but definitely nothing impressive. 

Hopefully, it will get better as it goes along.

When it comes to the Arrowverse, fans are always eager to see how the franchise's many shows are faring. All eyes are on the DC Universe as the fall season kicks into gear, and Batwoman is the first show to go up to bat. The much-awaited series debuted to rave reviews yesterday night, and it turns out fans turned out in force to support Kate Kane.

Thanks to a brand-new report, fans know how the Batwoman premiere fared in ratings. TV Line reports the The CW series debuted to 1.8 million total viewers on a Sunday night with a 0.5 rating. These numbers are up 20% from Supergirl's last season premiere, so the latest Arrowverse heroine is keeping conversation up amongst fans.

Currently, the site reports that viewers gave the show an average score of B- following the premiere. However, a whopping 77% reported they would stick with as Batwoman moves forward. The staff at ComicBook.com gave Batwoman a similar rating with writer Nicole Drum sharing on Twitter, "It's time for Batwoman ! I have been waiting for this FOREVER. I am so freaking pumped to see one of my favorite characters in live-action."

We'll see if the show can maintain viewership, and even grow it.

5 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Overall, I enjoyed the pilot. A bit unsteady as to how they rushed Katy's discovery of the Batcave and it's equipment.

Same here. I was okay with the pilot.

It felt with the flashbacks a tiny bit like it was mirroring the early days of Arrow. That's been done. Better to move forward with its own approach.

I don't think I've ever said this before about a comic book movie or TV show, but it was terrible...the plot was all over the place, the acting was not there and it was boring. I fell asleep twice ...and I guessed the twist 15 minutes into the show.

BTW, the audience review score on Rotten Tomatoes is now at 8%, so I suppose I am not alone.

I mean I even enjoyed Daredevil, but not this one. 

Review Bombed is the new term now since Captain Marvel.

CW debuted its newest addition to the Arrowverse in Ruby Rose's Batwoman this week, and the show debuted to generally positive reviews from critics. With 39 reviews in the can, Batwoman currently sits at 72% on Rotten Tomatoes. Critic reviews are currently split into 28 fresh and 11 rotten, but a quick glance at the Audience Score tells a different story. The Audience Score is at 8% right now, and there are 2424 reviews already. If that number seems a bit extreme, it probably is, and many of the reviews are one-star reviews, dragging that number down. Sure there are probably some valid one-star reviews in the mix, but that number is incredibly high, especially if you compare it to another recent debut.

Stumptown premiered last week, so at least double the time Batwoman's been out, and currently has 79 total user ratings. That's right, 7...9...compared to over 2000. Meanwhile, season 5 of The Flash, another DC CW show, has 801 User Ratings FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON. So yeah, something's fishy here.

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Or... It just sucks? Just like Captain Marvel?

Not everything is good FFS.

I haven't seen the show - just speculating.

I would agree not everything is going to be successful. I've actually seen the pilot. Worst-case, it was a 6.0/10 for me but in no way a 1.0/10 (it had a title and appeared).

25 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

It's more than obvious why men are reviewing these projects so negatively. It's also shameful and disgusting.

I'm  not  a man. My husband is, he didn't like it either. We didn't bother voting. 

It had nothing to do with her gender or sexual preferences for me, I just didn't enjoy it. The one bright spot might have been the Bat Cave, but even that was not done well.

Edited by skypinkblu

9 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm  not  a man. My husband is, he didn't like it either. We didn't bother voting. 

It had nothing to do with her gender or sexual preferences for me, I just didn't enjoy it. The one bright spot might have been the Bat Cave, but even that was not done well.

So you would rate the show a 1.0/10?

18 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So you would rate the show a 1.0/10?

I don't know, maybe a 2? I tried watching the whole thing. I also try to be kind when rating. 

I love Batman, I was hoping for something I would enjoy.