• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for storing art portfolios?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

For me, any art or print that isn't framed and on the wall is stored in an Itoya Profolio.  I'm working on plans to completely overhaul my comic room and I'm looking for ideas.  In an ideal scenario, I would hope to avoid just having these lay flat stacked on top of each other on top of a dresser or shelf.  I'm going to try to keep this room tidy and a loose stack of portfolios isn't exactly the look I'm going for. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on products that may help to organize portfolios?  Maybe a free-standing shelf unit?  Maybe some sort of wall mounted pocket system?  Maybe just a Rubbermaid tote? 

Most of my portfolios are those that hold 11x17, so that's the size I'm looking at most, though I have some bigger and some smaller as well.

Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks!

I store why portfolios in two places, the six bigger than 13x19 are in a large blueprint flatfile (45"x54'). Also store very large art in there that isnt framed. As for the smaller portfolios (13x19, 14x17, 11x17 etc) I have a small alcove I built a bookshelf into. Most bookshelves are not deep enough but this one is. Plus I designed it so I had 3 shelves that fit all the portfolios.

bpeck_OA_Port.thumb.jpg.b86b35b843ce1bfc96c508242278b30d.jpg

48393221_2246383535371832_5350673109215084544_o.jpg

48419404_2246383642038488_7813694406585745408_o.jpg

Depends on your design tastes.  I think the weight of the art/portfolios will buckle the bottom of the Ikea unit.

I have some metal shelving from sam's club with adjustable shelves. It holds about 30 or 40 portfolios across. I lined the bottom with a smooth material so the portfolios aren't sitting on the wire shelf.

I've also considered getting some used 'entertainment center' shelves. If you get just the oak end units they are deep enough for 11x17 portfolios and sturdy enough to hold them.  Now that TVs no longer fit in these units I see them regularly at a local auction. With some light sanding and paint/stain they can go with almost any decor.

49 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

Depends on your design tastes.  I think the weight of the art/portfolios will buckle the bottom of the Ikea unit.

I have some metal shelving from sam's club with adjustable shelves. It holds about 30 or 40 portfolios across. I lined the bottom with a smooth material so the portfolios aren't sitting on the wire shelf.

I've also considered getting some used 'entertainment center' shelves. If you get just the oak end units they are deep enough for 11x17 portfolios and sturdy enough to hold them.  Now that TVs no longer fit in these units I see them regularly at a local auction. With some light sanding and paint/stain they can go with almost any decor.

If you just have two portfolios in each drawer for the ikea it would be fine. Thats twelve portfolios. Even 4 per shelf should be fine, unless all are full of 48 pages each. I try and just have one piece of art per page, some time more but try not to over stuff a portfolio.

In the past, I've used rolling suitcases.  If you buy a set of 3 nested together, you might accommodate those different sizes you mentioned. You can't stack the suitcases and they take up some floorspace.  But you can stand them up, lay them flat and move them around.  In a pinch, they also hold clothes.  I've used the middle size for 13 x 19 Itoyas.  And the smaller one for 11 x 14 Itoyas.

Label your Itoyas and alternate them (spine on left, spine on right).

It may seem tempting to keep those desiccant ("do not eat") packets in the suitcase but eventually they'll break open and you've have silica gel balls rolling around with your art.

Edited by Will_K

8 hours ago, Turtle said:

For me, any art or print that isn't framed and on the wall is stored in an Itoya Profolio. 

If I correctly understood an earlier thread, this may not be the best method of storage. They should first be placed in a mylar sleeve (even better, with a backer sheet) and then the art in the sleeve should be stored. The plastic used in an Itoya does not actually protect the artwork.

44 minutes ago, Will_K said:

It may seem tempting to keep those desiccant ("do not eat") packets in the suitcase but eventually they'll break open and you've have silica gel balls rolling around with your art.

Put those packets in a sandwich baggie, don't seal, and then when the packet breaks up...still no mess ;)

12 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

If I correctly understood an earlier thread, this may not be the best method of storage.

Definitely not ideal. Better to just stack 'em with neutral paper in between each piece and rifle them (basically to 'air' the stack) every few months. Or spend up for products that are notable for their archival qualities.

6 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I store why portfolios in two places, the six bigger than 13x19 are in a large blueprint flatfile (45"x54'). Also store very large art in there that isnt framed. As for the smaller portfolios (13x19, 14x17, 11x17 etc) I have a small alcove I built a bookshelf into. Most bookshelves are not deep enough but this one is. Plus I designed it so I had 3 shelves that fit all the portfolios.

bpeck_OA_Port.thumb.jpg.b86b35b843ce1bfc96c508242278b30d.jpg

48393221_2246383535371832_5350673109215084544_o.jpg

48419404_2246383642038488_7813694406585745408_o.jpg

what? how many years of collecting OA Brian? Amazing! And you aren't showing the flat files! wow

6 hours ago, timguerrero said:

what? how many years of collecting OA Brian? Amazing! And you aren't showing the flat files! wow

About 33 years. Have 5 larger portfolios (16x20, 18x24 and 17x22) plus a couple dozen over size pieces in the flat file and whats framed on the walls. having the ComicArtself and flat file does help in organizing so much art.

15 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

If I correctly understood an earlier thread, this may not be the best method of storage. They should first be placed in a mylar sleeve (even better, with a backer sheet) and then the art in the sleeve should be stored. The plastic used in an Itoya does not actually protect the artwork.

Yes it does, if you use the "Polyglass" protectors. In any case, the best storage method is to keep them in a cool, dry, dark place (unless on display, of course). I am just amused by this thread, because I have just enough art to fit into one Itoya, plus a few larger ones I store in mylar sleeves with backers, in an art case in a locked closet.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Just as I suspected. You're a minor player at best but running off constantly with all the Big Ideas of somebody with significant hobby investment (time, transaction activity, size of collection, sources/friends in high places).

There's nothing wrong* with being a minor player (through necessity or desire) as long as you don't marry that to the constant and forceful Big Ideas program. I really do appreciate your crystallizing my suspicion though. So much easier to debunk things go forward...

*While some do see this whole thing as a huge dee measuring game I do not.

Before I go redoing my current storage, As planned, I thought the safest way was to put them in the Mylar sleeves and place the sleeves in the Itoya? They are stored in a cool dry place already, I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago—as did my long gone Eisner Spirit page.

I don’t just want to keep them loose with backers and let them breathe every once in a while. I know me: I won’t get around to it

20 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I do store the art in mylar before putting them in the portfolio, but I'm glad you brought it up as it serves as a nice PSA to any casual passer-by.  (thumbsu

In all, I appreciate the links, pictures, and advice. 

One follow-up question based on one of @Brian Peck's comments.  How full do you keep your portfolios?  Do you only put 1 piece of art per sleeve?  Do you do 2, front and back?  Do you have more than 2 in each sleeve? 

Such information could help me for future storage planning and I'm genuinely curious what some of the more experienced collectors do.

Thanks again for the information so far!

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

I do store the art in mylar before putting them in the portfolio, but I'm glad you brought it up as it serves as a nice PSA to any casual passer-by.  (thumbsu

In all, I appreciate the links, pictures, and advice. 

One follow-up question based on one of @Brian Peck's comments.  How full do you keep your portfolios?  Do you only put 1 piece of art per sleeve?  Do you do 2, front and back?  Do you have more than 2 in each sleeve? 

Such information could help me for future storage planning and I'm genuinely curious what some of the more experienced collectors do.

Thanks again for the information so far!

I try and put just one piece per sleeve. Sometimes if its two consecutive pages or maybe a prelim that goes with a published page I put them side by side and there is a piece on the other side. I find one per page is best, books with pages in each front and back sleeve its just too bulky.

The few times I have overloaded a portfolio with pieces on both sides is when I might bring art to show at a get together or if I hadn't filed my new art in a while I just load it into one portfolio. I tend to move art around between portfolios when I get new art sometimes that can take a while so I pt it off.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, Rick2you2 said:

On 3/5/2019 at 7:41 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yes it does, if you use the "Polyglass" protectors. In any case, the best storage method is to keep them in a cool, dry, dark place (unless on display, of course). I am just amused by this thread, because I have just enough art to fit into one Itoya, plus a few larger ones I store in mylar sleeves with backers, in an art case in a locked closet.

Not to stir the pot but is the general consensus the improved Polyglass sheets still not to be trusted on their own? I have both the Itoyas with the old thin plastic sheets and one portfolio with the Polyglass sheets and thought I was upgrading.

Can someone post a link to the discussion about Itoyas not being the best for protection - apologies, I wasn't able to find it searching through.

1 hour ago, T Shen said:

Not to stir the pot but is the general consensus the improved Polyglass sheets still not to be trusted on their own? I have both the Itoyas with the old thin plastic sheets and one portfolio with the Polyglass sheets and thought I was upgrading.

Can someone post a link to the discussion about Itoyas not being the best for protection - apologies, I wasn't able to find it searching through.

Try typing in "Itoya" in the search box. There are more than these, and the second involves books, but it boils down to the same thing. 

Mylar to fit into Itoya Portfolios 

and

Artists Editions discussion

18 hours ago, T Shen said:

Poly glass is just Itoya’s brand name  for their polypropylene sleeves. They’re inert and acid free. Not as good as Mylar, but the art is less at risk than old comic book newsprint. It’s generally on much higher quality paper stock. They also come with an acode free backing board. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 3/9/2019 at 1:11 PM, Spidey 62 said:

Shelves and such are good for storing vertically.  I have a sheet music stand that I have a portfolio on, opened for display. I have some Star Trek art displayed currently. 

Is there any known protection advantage to storing vertically instead of horizontally? Assume they are stored in mylars, books or both.