• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing a Restored (Color Touch) to a Blue Label?

4 posts in this topic

I see a lot of restored labels where the only restoration is color touch. As a hypothetical, if the color touch was, let's say red, and you marked over it with a black sharpie, would the book then get a universal label without the restoration label? What if you took it further, and had an artist sign or remark completely over the color touch? 

I'm not sure  if CGC would consider this "gaming the system" or if it might be a violation of one of their policies, but was curious since a color touch restoration is seemingly done to improve a book's appearance by covering up a defect, and in these instances you are not attempting to restore the book's condition, but replacing it with a new defect. 

3 hours ago, SBRobin said:

I see a lot of restored labels where the only restoration is color touch. As a hypothetical, if the color touch was, let's say red, and you marked over it with a black sharpie, would the book then get a universal label without the restoration label? What if you took it further, and had an artist sign or remark completely over the color touch? 

I'm not sure  if CGC would consider this "gaming the system" or if it might be a violation of one of their policies, but was curious since a color touch restoration is seemingly done to improve a book's appearance by covering up a defect, and in these instances you are not attempting to restore the book's condition, but replacing it with a new defect. 

Interesting observation. However, please understand that CGC sees things like this every day, and generally doesn't view them in a favorable light...  (tsk)  

That's the other thing I was wondering, whether it was against some type of CGC policy. Just like whether it would be a problem if a book had restoration applied to one corner, and instead of submitting as restore, you just cut off that part of the corner? How would covering up restoration with a sharpie and providing a new defect be different from having a professional company remove the restoration by scraping the color touch off?