• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on framing art next to final production
1 1

39 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Unless you DIY, quality framing costs a lot of money. I have a local art gallery that I have gotten quotes from (they will do it 100% right and actually appreciate comic art) and it’s not cheap. Unless you have art that’s more valuable than the frame, it’s not worth going whole hog on archival materials, museum glass etc. 

How much were the quotes for? I'm anticipating $200-$300, which, right or wrong, is much less than I paid for the art. 

I remember thinking I was going to frame everything with the art and comic page together when I first considered framing. After seeing a few done up, I was less than thrilled with the look. I do think the frame up can take focus from the art and the excessive matting around the comic page can come off awkward (to my eye at least). I have seen a few done up nice and a couple really nice one where the comic cover was also included. Add all of the above with the cost, I decided not to go this route.

I only have custom frames for my paintings and only 1 piece of comic art.  The comic art is a DPS, so it won't fit into a standard size 11x17 frame and I know I won't be selling it any time soon.

Otherwise, I have generic size frames with UV plexi that i swap stuff in and out of.  I like rotating the art, I feel like if it's always the same thing on the walls you start to take it for granted.

Paintings I feel like need to be framed and up, because they're usually large and a PITA to store safely.

Here's how the piece ended up. I think it turned out great. It cost $298.35 with tax using all archival materials. The next art I'm going to have framed is substantially more valuable than this piece and I plan to have it framed the same way. Anything here you'd caution me against with a more expensive piece? Exact materials used are listed below.

Frame - AMPF 7400 Black 1.375" Wedge
Mats (from outer to inner) Bainbridge 12004 Kid Glove, Bainbridge 12021 Anthracite, Bainbridge 12004 Kid Glove
Total visible mat width - 3" top and sides, 3.25" bottom weight
Art mounted to hidden 3/16" acid-free foam core pedestal on B12004
Top 2 mats elevated with 3/16" acid-free foam core
All backed with 3/16" acid-free foam core
Tru-Vue Conservation Clear glass

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

13 minutes ago, Varanis said:

Art mounted to hidden 3/16" acid-free foam core pedestal on B12004

The float mount can be a nice presentation. Very classy. But the part that gives me pause is above.

Mounted how? I’m assuming some form of acid free hinge, but I never assume where my own art is concerned. 

Attaching art to a front or rear mount by reversible archival means is totally normal. Mounting art to an acid free board in any more permanent capacity is totally not normal. But it happens. Farmers mount prints and things all the time unless they are told not to. I once saw someone who had incorrectly mounted a signed pro jersey in a display box. 

I frame all my own art now, but if I didn’t, I’d certainly want to be sure of every facet of the process, and stress that I didn’t want anything used that was not 100% totally reversible. Even at the cost of it looking slightly less than perfect when it is together ... Some thin papers and illustrations don’t float mount well without signs of hanging less than flat, or waviness over time. It doesn’t harm the art, but in those cases I’d not float mount at all, typically. 

Im guessing they know what they are doing, regarding the archival nature of the work, being original, but I’d ask for peace of mind, before I did another.

FWIW.

Edited by ESeffinga

1 minute ago, ESeffinga said:

The float mount can be a nice presentation. Very classy. But the part that gives me pause is above.

Mounted how? I’m assuming some form of acid free hinge, but I never assume where my own art is concerned. 

Attaching art to a front or rear mount by reversible archival means is totally normal. Mounting art to an acid free board in any more permanent capacity is totally not normal. But it happens. Farmers mount prints and things all the time unless they are told not to. I once saw someone who had incorrectly mounted a signed pro jersey in a display box. 

I frame all my own art now, but if I didn’t, I’d certainly want to be sure of every facet of the process, and stress that I didn’t want anything used that was not 100% totally reversible. Even at the cost of it looking slightly less than perfect when it is together (some thin papers and illustrations don’t float mount well without signs of hanging less than flat, or waviness over time. It doesn’t harm the art, but in those cases I’d not float mount at all, typically. 

FWIW.

Yep! It's mounted using acid free hinges. I'm not certain of the exact type, but it was something I clarified multiple times with the framer. If it helps, I believe the framer said it could be reversed by using a moist q-tip to dissolve where the hinges attach. I'm not super familiar with hinges, so let me know if that makes sense. He reassured me it was easily reversible with zero risk of damage.

Everything I own so far is on bristol board, which seems to float mount well. Is there much risk of a piece detaching from its mount after hanging for awhile?

1 minute ago, ESeffinga said:

Sounds like a form of Japanese hinge. Most use manufactured product for those, but it should be all good. :)

Awesome! Thank you! I have one piece that is singularly more significant and valuable than my others. For that piece only I was thinking of upgrading the pedestal to an even safer archival material since it comes into contact most with the art. Do you think that would be necessary? Most folks I ask say the acid-free foam core is plenty fine, but my framer mentioned it still carried some minimal risk.

Well hinges can and do occasionally fail. On one hand, they are designed to, if the piece were to fall from the wall because of an earthquake or some such event. It’s a form of protection.

But I’ve had pieces that were hinged where the hinge lost its grip on the art after being on the wall for 20 years. In that case it was in a traditional matting setup and not on any kind of float mount pedestal, so it merely started to look a little crooked in the frame. I took it down, rehinged it an re hung it. Most never budge. The ”glue” is a form of inert starch that’s been used for hundreds of years. Doesnt yellow, and a dab of moisture with a qtip will release it without damage. Museums use them constantly. 

Had my art been free floating when hinge failed, it would have likely dropped to the bottom of the frame. 

Would that harm the art? Maybe if it stayed that way. I dare say most comicart board would maybe suffer a blunted corner dropping 3 people inches in an enclosed frame environment. I’d be hard pressed to think it would be worse than that unless left sitting that way down n the frame for days/ weeks on end?

And while a blunted/bent tip might mean thousands in lost value for a comic. With OA, it’s the only one. Super minor condition issues like “handling” defects are more of a mental issue than a financial one, at the end of the day.

Would having the piece sandwiched in acid free material offer a more secure method for your art? Most looking kelt. Also less likely to develop slight waviness from fluctuating humidities, etc. over the decades. But the level of “damage” it risks is IMO negligible. 

There are other folks on here that would lock such a piece in a vault and never let it see the light of day, lest it suffer any form of degradation at all. They’d rather not look at it than fear for it’s perfect safety. 

To some I imagine float mounting a treasure would be tantamount to crucifying it. But I say enjoy the art in whatever way you can while you can, while being mindful of it’s care as well. 

If you are the sort that does things out of an abundance of caution, don’t float it. If you are the sort that prefers an aesthetic over the minimal risks of slight inconvenience and MAYBE a slightly dinged corner, float away.

Edited by ESeffinga

On 3/4/2019 at 5:36 PM, Varanis said:

Is there any reason I should not frame the art this way? As someone new to this part of the hobby, this seems like a great way to document the history of the piece. That said, I don't see many people frame their art this way, so I'm assuming there are a good number of reasons not to.

Just seems really tacky to me. Like those collectibles shops in the shopping mall which frame pictures or posters around a cut-out autograph. I say let the art stand on its own; you can always show someone the published comic separately if you have to (and you will probably never have to). 2c 

Rule of thumb is don’t do.   I think there are limited exceptions where framing art and published together is ok (typically where art is very large and published very small) but if in doubt, just don’t.

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Just seems really tacky to me. Like those collectibles shops in the shopping mall which frame pictures or posters around a cut-out autograph. I say let the art stand on its own; you can always show someone the published comic separately if you have to (and you will probably never have to). 2c 

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Rule of thumb is don’t do.   I think there are limited exceptions where framing art and published together is ok (typically where art is very large and published very small) but if in doubt, just don’t.

I have definitely seen the light on this. See a few posts up for pictures of what I ultimately went with. I think it turned out quite well and plan to frame future pieces in the same way.

14 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

To some I imagine float mounting a treasure would be tantamount to crucifying it. But I say enjoy the art in whatever way you can while you can, while being mindful of it’s care as well. 

I am with you on this. As you point out, the unique nature of OA makes it much less of a concern as well.

On 3/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, JadeGiant said:

I remember thinking I was going to frame everything with the art and comic page together when I first considered framing. After seeing a few done up, I was less than thrilled with the look. I do think the frame up can take focus from the art and the excessive matting around the comic page can come off awkward (to my eye at least). I have seen a few done up nice and a couple really nice one where the comic cover was also included. Add all of the above with the cost, I decided not to go this route.

There's no reason to frame the ACTUAL printed page. You can get a good scan of it off the internet and print it out at the same size as the art. It actually looks better.

Nice post and pictures. 

Since you mentioned watercolors I was curious if people knew about the relative affects of light exposure on other sorts of paints. I assume oils are pretty resilient, but what about acrylic and gouache?

9 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Nice post and pictures. 

Since you mentioned watercolors I was curious if people knew about the relative affects of light exposure on other sorts of paints. I assume oils are pretty resilient, but what about acrylic and gouache?

I treat acrylic as pretty resistant, and then grade down as the acrylic is diluted, which includes some gouache which can have varying degrees of acrylic infused/mixed. 

Pigment based paints are going to be less light reactive than anything dye based. With oils, what tends to happen is not to the pigment based paint, but the yellowing of the varnish. This can be restored/corrected if a varnish coat has outlived it's clarity, but it tends to take decades to really notice. Acrylic is pretty lightfast, but as with any plastic based paint (your home latex for instance) not all manufacturers and colors are created equal. Gouache in particular is color specific when it comes to it's color retention. Watercolor, Dr. Martin color dyes, and any other dye based paints are going to fade. Some colors can fade in months.

Same goes for markers for that matter. If in doubt, keep the sun out.
Or be a stick in the mud like me, I just don't collect the stuff I can't hang and live with.

For some that is a bridge way too far. So in those cases, keeping the work totally out of the sun and protected in a portfolio or flat file is best.

Also keep in mind when matting, that whatever your mat shape, you can very likely end up with reverse "mat burn". So if you cut your mats to funny shapes, and they see UV (they always get some UV, even in UV resistant glass), in a decade or more/less if you remove your art from a frame/mat, you may well notice the page is darker in the viewing area exposed than it is in the margins that are covered by mats. And if there are any lines bleeding off the page, those lines may be darker under the matt, because what was exposed has faded slightly.

So there's that.