• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bends on multiple books???

6 posts in this topic

Hello all.  First time posting here since becoming a cgc member.  The question I have is in regards to my grader notes on my recent submission.  I was sure I had many more 9.8's than I did.  I noticed most of the notes were "bends", all in various locations on the books.  I swear I didn't see any before shipping them. I do press my own books and have gotten 9.8s much easier in previous submissions.  I'm wondering now if my packing had anything to do with it.  I would pack about 12 to 13 books in a makeshift Gemini then I put those in a medium flat rate box.  Think that might have done it? I'm probably going to resubmit some of them.  A friend of mine said I should start packaging each book in a Gemini individually from now on.  I've also heard others do that as well with good results. Any thoughts?

Edited by ericricho

1 hour ago, ericricho said:

Hello all.  First time posting here since becoming a cgc member.  The question I have is in regards to my grader notes on my recent submission.  I was sure I had many more 9.8's than I did.  I noticed most of the notes were "bends", all in various locations on the books.  I swear I didn't see any before shipping them. I do press my own books and have gotten 9.8s much easier in previous submissions.  I'm wondering now if my packing had anything to do with it.  I would pack about 12 to 13 books in a makeshift Gemini then I put those in a medium flat rate box.  Think that might have done it? I'm probably going to resubmit some of them.  A friend of mine said I should start packaging each book in a Gemini individually from now on.  I've also heard others do that as well with good results. Any thoughts?

That's good advice. Whenever submitting books to CGC, it's best if each book is packed in it's own bag. I would also recommend using a sturdy backing board for each book as well, even though it adds to the overall weight of the package. After making sure each book is properly packed in a bag and board, I put about five of those books together into a larger envelope or bag, making sure to flip the books that face outward so the backing boards are facing out, not the front covers. I then securely tape the larger envelope closed around those books. After that, I encase this package in a sturdy cardboard sandwich which is also taped securely together (make sure the cardboard is at least 1/2" larger around all four edges of the books). I'd then wrap the cardboard sandwich with bubble wrap and put it into a larger box. Add plenty of packing material to all 4 sides of the sandwich---don't skimp on it. Please bear in mind that your ultimate goal is to have the books arrive undamaged, yet still make them fairly easy to unpack. CGC will usually keep the books in the bags and boards you send them in, and they'll stay in those bags until they reach the encapsulation room. Remember, the less they're handled as they go through the process, the better your chances will be of getting those coveted 9.8's or higher...  (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den

Light spine stresses and light bends have been very common listed defects the past year on otherwise high grade books. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Until a year - maybe two at most - ago I seldom saw such.

I think it will be more helpful to you to do a couple of things here....
1) Wait until you get the books back. Can you see any bends? 
2) Unslab and examine some of the books that CGC has noted with light bends. Can you see the bends? 

And last. If you are sending in moderns where 9.8 is actually needed to be worth getting encapsulated - send in less often and wait until you have at least 25 books. Then prescreen at 9.8. Then you will only have graded, encapsulated 9.8's. Any rejects will be returned to you raw and only cost you $5 each. 

I doubt it is how the books are shipped. Instead it appears to be a subtle defect CGC is watching for. 

Yeah I just get this sense of a sudden inconsistency.  Unless of course it was the packing. I just hope I can learn from it.  If I open the slab and can't see the defect it doesn't do me any good.  I really hope it's noticeable cause it sure wasn't before I packed them. 

You are a lot more likely to see a light bend out of the slab then in the slab. Then you'll have a better idea as to what the CGC graders are looking for.  And should you NOT find any light bends....well...that is knowledge too. But odds are high you'll see what they saw once out of the slab. 

On 3/4/2019 at 8:37 PM, Tony S said:

Light spine stresses and light bends have been very common listed defects the past year on otherwise high grade books. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Until a year - maybe two at most - ago I seldom saw such.

I think it will be more helpful to you to do a couple of things here....
1) Wait until you get the books back. Can you see any bends? 
2) Unslab and examine some of the books that CGC has noted with light bends. Can you see the bends? 

And last. If you are sending in moderns where 9.8 is actually needed to be worth getting encapsulated - send in less often and wait until you have at least 25 books. Then prescreen at 9.8. Then you will only have graded, encapsulated 9.8's. Any rejects will be returned to you raw and only cost you $5 each. 

I doubt it is how the books are shipped. Instead it appears to be a subtle defect CGC is watching for. 

+1 and seeing "very light" and they are strick right now in high grade.