• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 March Madness Grading Tournament Prize Thread
6 6

422 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, flashlites said:
6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Who? What? Where? When? Why?

I believe it was in April or May last year. I will check.

I want to say that it lasted in June... hm 

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I would love to see a third grading contest.  Would help getting it started up.

I'd think the hardest thing would be getting somebody to grade all those tough books that may not have a huge cost.  Almost all the books I submit are 9.6/9.8 coin flips so that would be a boring grading contest.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:
4 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'd think the hardest thing would be getting somebody to grade all those tough books that may not have a huge cost.  Almost all the books I submit are 9.6/9.8 coin flips so that would be a boring grading contest.

Yeah, ya gotta have a good mix of low grade, mid grade and high grade. 

4 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
5 hours ago, 1Cool said:
8 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yeah, ya gotta have a good mix of low grade, mid grade and high grade. 

I would bet @G.A.tor would have a pretty cool selection of books to work with, if finding some content is the main problem. He seems to deal with some really cool books. Not that I would expect him to run the contest-- just perhaps provide some scans. There does seem to be quite a bit of planning involved if you are trying to show a book raw and then in the slab. Maybe some of the other prolific collectors/dealers on the board would be good candidates-- or it could be a rotating group that provides the source material that we attempt to grade.

Just a thought. At this time-- the number of various contests etc we have is pretty awesome and the variety/makeup of the contests as well. You have March Madness - with its one and done finality. Thirdgreenham's is more like a baseball contest where you have to do well consistently over several weeks. DR X and his fun contest which is not comic related but a blast. The Raffles and Secret Santa stuff fills out the year-- though it is not grading of course. We sort of have a lull right around football season-- probably the best slot to think of for an additional contest. Might I suggest a round robin format that takes two losses to knock you out? Anyway-- fun to think about and if someone comes up with it, no doubt we will have people champing at the bit to play.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

Might I suggest a round robin format that takes two losses to knock you out? Anyway-- fun to think about and if someone comes up with it, no doubt we will have people champing at the bit to play.

Could you expand on this a bit? @01TheDude 

10 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Could you expand on this a bit? @01TheDude 

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=round+robin+format

the one I am proposing would have a two (three?) losses threshold that would eliminate a contestant. So it is sort of like your tournament with random draws. So the actual rounds are head to head. I think you can also do it with a seeding round as well. I am used to them from wrestling in free style tournaments in my youth. The only problem is that it might take too long and most likely be too confusing for the people in it.

Another tournament style that might be a little more fair for all would be take the total number of the field (lets say 100 players) and do it like the cut line in a golf tournament but at the end of each round. So you start with 100, the next round includes everyone who is in the top 80, then 70 or whatever number makes sense to do the number of rounds you have... etc.. until you get to top ten-- top 5 and final two.

Lots of ways to do it -  but I think the best method would be a slightly different format to keep things interesting, not just repeating a similar format we have. Though for simplicity sake-- a similar format we are used to is not a bad thing. I am just throwing out ideas for our hypothetical as of yet not created tournament.

Edited by 01TheDude

33 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Opened up my package from Ron today and it had this really cool addition (Sketch by RB White)! I didn't even know CGC did this. Thanks Ron!

IMG-7110.thumb.JPG.999483a54de23ace2b3be96f1cba1472.JPG

That's awesome! Congrats :) I'm a little jealous!