• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 March Madness Grading Tournament Prize Thread
6 6

422 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2019 at 6:27 PM, 01TheDude said:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=round+robin+format

the one I am proposing would have a two (three?) losses threshold that would eliminate a contestant. So it is sort of like your tournament with random draws. So the actual rounds are head to head. I think you can also do it with a seeding round as well. I am used to them from wrestling in free style tournaments in my youth. The only problem is that it might take too long and most likely be too confusing for the people in it.

Another tournament style that might be a little more fair for all would be take the total number of the field (lets say 100 players) and do it like the cut line in a golf tournament but at the end of each round. So you start with 100, the next round includes everyone who is in the top 80, then 70 or whatever number makes sense to do the number of rounds you have... etc.. until you get to top ten-- top 5 and final two.

Lots of ways to do it -  but I think the best method would be a slightly different format to keep things interesting, not just repeating a similar format we have. Though for simplicity sake-- a similar format we are used to is not a bad thing. I am just throwing out ideas for our hypothetical as of yet not created tournament.

I have been thinking about this off and on for a few days now...How about a Texas Hold 'em style contest. We'd get 3 books to grade at first, followed by another4 books. At each stage before we knew the actual grades we'd have to choose our best out of the first 3 and the best out of the 4 to equal five grades total (The ones we think we got the closest.) Then the big reveal! Did we choose the best books? The player that got the closest moves on. It could be head to head or 5 or more at a virtual poker table--still trying to think that part through. Any thoughts?

Ace=Bullseye

King=.5 or less

Queen=1.0 or less

Jack=1.5 or less

10=2.0 or less

Junk=2.0 or more

Edited by flashlites
addition

15 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I have been thinking about this off and on for a few days now...How about a Texas Hold 'em style contest. We'd get 3 books to grade at first, followed by another4 books. At each stage before we knew the actual grades we'd have to choose our best out of the first 3 and the best out of the 4 to equal five grades total (The ones we think we got the closest.) Then the big reveal! Did we choose the best books? The player that got the closest moves on. It could be head to head or 5 or more at a virtual poker table--still trying to think that part through. Any thoughts?

Ace=Bullseye

King=.5 or less

Queen=1.0 or less

Jack=1.5 or less

10=2.0 or less

Junk=2.0 or more

Interesting

So after some thought on this poker style grading tournament, I believe the poker table format could work -- with something like 4-6 at each table until we came to the final two rounds. In the last two contests I was in we had about 120-145 contestants I believe. We would have two from each table advance, the winner and the runner up.

Lets say we get an odd number of 135.

That's 27 tables with 5 players each, so 54 would move on.

That would leave 5 tables with 5 and one table with 4. 12 would move on.

That would leave 3 tables of 4 players. 6 would move on.

That would be 1 table of 6. 2 would move on.

Last round would be head to head.

I think it could be fun because we would be looking at the 7 books we just graded and we'd have to make a decision as to which 5 we'd want to put forward. Which 2 books do we think we'd be willing to put aside. We may choose right or we may choose the wrong ones. It would really make you think. A very special kind of grading hell :devil: Especially, when after the round you realize you left a bullseye behind!!!:frustrated:It could be even more tricky if we are forced to choose from the first 3 and then the last 4. So say you've made the choice to hold all of your first 3, that would mean you could only choose 2 of the next 4. It could be quite agonizing!

Edited by flashlites