• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You don't have an art collecting problem, but this guy does (GQ article)

23 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2019 at 4:53 AM, Bronty said:

And what is a non comic collector supposed to see when they see the Oa for say, The last page of hulk 180?     Do you have any idea how stupid it would look to them that the page sold for 700k or whatever?   Do you think they “see” the value?    Clearly a large misconception is that value has anything to do with aesthetics.    You don’t need to “see” it.    It’s a painter that everyone has heard of.    That’s enough on its own, just like wolverine being a character everyone has heard of can lift what should be a three or four figure page into a six figure and maybe by now seven figure page 

It was kind of a joke with that Burbs scene and kind of serious. For me, I need the artwork to excite me. A painter once said something along those lines about the definition of art. I really don't go my name. I've purchased comic art for a few hundred dollars that I like more than thousand dollar Jim Lee pages. And I like Jim Lee artwork but I'm not paying a thousand dollars just for the name and to get a page where the main characters are barely on it.

Also, I skimmed over an article, I think I still have it around to read fully. But it was about people buying artwork basically as assets. They didn't seem to like it or know about it. Just that it was a good investment. But the artwork turned out to be fakes and the guy was going to court about it. This happened somewhere in Europe. I think the article also talked about these secure storage facilities where people kept artwork and other valuables. They didn't get it to enjoy in their homes. They would buy it and it would go into these places for storage until they wanted to sell. I'm not talking about those hoarder places either that you see in TV shows. I'm talking places made for high value items. I need to find that article and finish reading it.

1 hour ago, GeneticNinja said:

I think the article also talked about these secure storage facilities where people kept artwork and other valuables. They didn't get it to enjoy in their homes. They would buy it and it would go into these places for storage until they wanted to sell. I'm not talking about those hoarder places either that you see in TV shows. I'm talking places made for high value items. I need to find that article and finish reading it.

They are called freeports, primarily used for their security, anonymity, and tax advantages. The Swiss seem to specialize in them as an industry for continental Europe, while Delaware (among other states?) offers the same to the Americas.

image.thumb.png.1799d828cbf09b298b1ad0b2d8d4ed1e.png

Art-Storage-of-The-University-of-Lethbri

On 3/29/2019 at 5:19 AM, vodou said:

They are called freeports, primarily used for their security, anonymity, and tax advantages. The Swiss seem to specialize in them as an industry for continental Europe, while Delaware (among other states?) offers the same to the Americas.

image.thumb.png.1799d828cbf09b298b1ad0b2d8d4ed1e.png

Art-Storage-of-The-University-of-Lethbri

Yeah that's it. I need to find that article.