• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My golden age adventure
4 4

153 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2019 at 4:51 PM, Lukesaurus said:

Now that is a BIG book :bigsmile: . I was referring to a bigger value book :p 

But keep up the recommendations , they help a lot .

Also does anyone have any idea if there is a website where i can search for covers with a specific theme ?

I really enjoy PCH rat covers :angel:

Three options:

1. Read through the PCH threads on the Boards. where people have randomly posted their copies.

2.  Systematically look through all the PCH issues on GCD (there are about 1500 of them).  I have a copy of a list.

3. Create a thread on the Boards asking people to post their PCH rat covers.  I don't think there are many beyond the ones listed.

There will be some great interior stories involving rats like in this issue.

https://www.comics.org/issue/9518/cover/4/

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Systematically look through all the PCH issues on GCD (there are about 1500 of them).  I have a copy of a list.

I like Western covers with horses on them. Would you suggest I look at all ~5000 of them :insane:

I agree that systematically looking at the entire genre is the best way to go from 0 to 60, if not 0 to 100.

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Three options:

1. Read through the PCH threads on the Boards. where people have randomly posted their copies.

2.  Systematically look through all the PCH issues on GCD (there are about 1500 of them).  I have a copy of a list.

3. Create a thread on the Boards asking people to post their PCH rat covers.  I don't think there are many beyond the ones listed.

There will be some great interior stories involving rats like in this issue.

https://www.comics.org/issue/9518/cover/4/

I spent the whole day yesterday doing that , found about 6 issues  of PCH . Also found 3 issues of Airboy with rats on cover .

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Some wonderful ga to collect are centaurs. 

Rick, you should complete this discussion with a scholarly lecture on the fascinating history of centaurs in Greek mythology, ...excusing your attentive class to finish homework for extra credit around 7 this evening EST.  :wink:

1 hour ago, Lukesaurus said:

I spent the whole day yesterday doing that , found about 6 issues  of PCH . Also found 3 issues of Airboy with rats on cover .

You could also try googling “comic books with rat covers” if you didn’t already.  Gotta sift through a ton of modern garbage  though...

44 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

How about a villain called The Rodent feeding a woman alive to rats?

Can it even get any better?

On 3/6/2019 at 3:35 AM, Lukesaurus said:

I have only recently started getting into Golden Age books , don't have a really big disposable income to spend on them and after reading several threads on the Golden age board it seems I am a bit late to the party .

Couple years you could get a nice mid grade copy for a couple of hundred $ , now I can only get 1.0 - 2.0 . PCH horror has shot way up , DC superheroes as well (this is what I am mainly interested right now ).

Mind you my observations are based on online sales as I am not a US resident , Golden Age in Europe is almost non existent .

So am I late ? I enjoy the stories and covers , being from an ex communist country gives me a glimpse to a different world and time , but sometimes it's really hard to justify prices of  $200-$300 on a 0.5 Batman 36 for example .

There are a lot of western and funny animal GA comics still at dirt cheap prices compared to super heroes if you want to go that route. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 3/7/2019 at 12:54 AM, originalisbest said:

Seeking out "lesser" under the radar titles featuring the same characters is an excellent suggestion. As for PCH, true that a lot of the covers/titles are smoking hot right now, but not literally everything is. Some Atlas has cooled off relative to other PCH books, and some titles/covers are excellent, but not currently on everyone's radar as much. It's possible even on limited budgets to enjoy pursuing GA -- I don't think it's likely I'll luck into high grade examples but you never know what might turn up in searching.

+1. 

It can also be fun trying to find books that you think others have over looked. Dive in you won't regret it.