• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My golden age adventure
4 4

153 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:
18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely too late if you are thinking of chasing after the latest hot GA books like this one here:

RADD5834201927_133651.jpg

I guess this book is definitely still smoking red hot as this copy just sold in the recently completed CL Auction for $5,526 as compared to a condition guide value of only $850.  Another case of the stratospheric prices for hot GA books filtering from the higher grades down to the lower grades, although this particular copy certainly does appear nice relative to its assigned CGC grade.  :luhv:

I guess if they had stuck one of those CVA Exceptional stickers on the slab, the book might have gone for even more money than this.  hm

That ship has sailed for pretty much everybody. I'm so glad I picked up most of that stuff while most people were chasing "men in tights".

6 hours ago, tabcom said:

Underbidder 😭

Well, if the Seven Seas 4 ship has already sailed, how about this following book herethen:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Miscellaneous, Rangers Comics #39 Okajima pedigree (Fiction House, 1948) CGC NM+9.6 Off-white to white pages. A look at CGC's census shows...

Absolutely love the brighter colors on this book here and you can probably look at picking up a HG copy of this book, while it's still sitting in dry dock lol, at a mere fraction of what you would have to pay for a much lower graded copy of Seven Seas 4.   hm  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, stealth3121 said:

I feel like I missed the boat on the Golden Age as well, ans Silver Age is getting super pricey now too.

There's no such thing as missing the boat AFA collectibles go.  Every day sellers are offering books on eBay, in comic shops, or online stores.  It's simply a matter of focusing on what pleases you, and then budgeting for it; like anything else.

4 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Of course, you should stay away from Planet Comics, I don’t need more competition! lol But who can resist books like these?

A4173186-4DD6-4563-8BF8-68FC5C64B21D.jpeg

Now, this one here must have cost you a real pretty penny.  :blush:   :luhv:

Welcome to the GA and congrats on your beautiful Planet pickups here.  (thumbsu

42 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

As many others have already said, it’s definitely not too late to start collecting GA. I was a SA collector for the last 8 years and then last summer I purchased my first GA book, a copy of Planet Comics 11.  Since then, I don’t think I’ve purchased a single book published after 1953.  It’s so much more challenging than SA (which is what makes it so fun).

Of course, you should stay away from Planet Comics, I don’t need more competition! lol But who can resist books like these?

DE2CD346-E0A9-453F-BB23-E068C60A096D.jpeg

9C6961C7-47AE-402A-ADC7-F2FEDF5CACDB.jpeg

A4173186-4DD6-4563-8BF8-68FC5C64B21D.jpeg

why dont you throw me that planet 10?:wishluck::foryou:

This thread reminds me of the thrill of picking up the Gerber books circa 2000. It was ever more exciting that I discovered Comic Book Marketplace at the same time which coincided with the relaunch of Alter Ego as the flip side of Comic Book Artist. Those were glorious years of exploration. These mags and their writers are 100% the reason I feel in love with the GA.

41 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

I'll take the # 33 please :takeit:

Why is Planet #33 going for such big dollars nowadays anyways? ???

I imagine it must have something to do with the "dumb as a blonde" dunce look that the leggy girl has on the front of the cover.  :blush:  :takeit:

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, Planet #33 is not that scarce, but has huge demand. It’s just such a sweet cover. 

Honestly, my Planet Comics collection wouldn’t be anywhere near what it is today if not for this place.  The boards are such an awesome resource. I purchased many of the toughest issues right here, including issues 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 17, 21, and that 33.

My advice to the OP, buy GA on the boards!

21 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

My interest in the photo journal is because as you said im just getting into the golden age . Besides DC superheroes and EC horror i have no idea what is out there . Already because of this thread i started looking at a lot more titles. It’s like a whole new world has opened up from obscure superheroes to great sci fi covers .

The GA is massive in respect to variety and numbers published.  The biggest plus side is art, both interior and especially covers, although there are exceptions where the interior art is superior to the cover art.  Much of the writing in the early GA is generally simple with little character development in contrast to the sprawling episodic (multi-book) story arcs and short page count of today's comics.  Then there are EC comics in which the editors and publisher loved short stories with sharp O'Henry style twists and ...in their horror comics... grim humor.  The writing in EC comics is every bit the equal of the art, and that's usually top drawer.  With the early GA you get more page count and more variety, but even through the early 50's the number of pre-code titles published can be daunting.  The one thing about the GA that's impossible to ignore is that it's a huge smorgasbord from which to choose and the sky's the limit! (thumbsu

Edited by Cat-Man_America

To kind of piggy back on this topic, I was in a shop today and was shown a raw Captain America Comics #2.  Price on the book was $5,500.  I need to go back and get a better look at it, but I'd guess it was in mid grade.  Looked flat, cover was complete.  Was caught by surprise but I should have taken a much closer look.  Has anyone bought something this expensive in a shop before?  I want to go back and make an offer, but I'm not really sure in how to go about it.  It's a book I'd never considered being within my realm of possibility, but I'm now considering selling off my Magic collection to try and get close to the asking price.  Guide has 4.0 at 5k, and the shop tends to run a bit high on pricing books.  Would I offend the owner by coming back and trying to haggle?

45 minutes ago, waaaghboss said:

To kind of piggy back on this topic, I was in a shop today and was shown a raw Captain America Comics #2.  Price on the book was $5,500.  I need to go back and get a better look at it, but I'd guess it was in mid grade.  Looked flat, cover was complete.  Was caught by surprise but I should have taken a much closer look.  Has anyone bought something this expensive in a shop before?  I want to go back and make an offer, but I'm not really sure in how to go about it.  It's a book I'd never considered being within my realm of possibility, but I'm now considering selling off my Magic collection to try and get close to the asking price.  Guide has 4.0 at 5k, and the shop tends to run a bit high on pricing books.  Would I offend the owner by coming back and trying to haggle?

Shops ...I'm assuming it's a comic shop... should know what they're dealing with, but weird opportunities do happen. At $5500 even a raw SP restored mid-grade should be worth the price (5.0 universal grade lists for over $6000 in Overstreet, and you can throw out the Guide with Cap).  If you're in doubt, ask someone with a bit more grading experience that you trust look at it with you.  My caveat would be that it should be examined closely, ...make sure it's complete, check the PQ, ask about prior ownership, repairs, if any, and make sure any known flaws are fully disclosed before pulling the trigger. 

Here's my 8.5 universal graded copy for comparison (conservatively $30,000 in OSG)...

ea103ddb-b788-42dc-8e14-e06c83d187e1_zps

Edited by Cat-Man_America

23 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Haggling is part of buying comics.  Most shops ask high because they expect to lower the price when a customer makes an offer.  I would probably not deal with a shop that was unwilling to negotiate...unless the price was way off in my favor.

23 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

You say that the shop runs high in their pricing, so I would take that to be, as in the above post, they expect lower offers.  Kind of like eBay's "make an offer".  Don't EVER worry about "offending" a seller; by contrast, you are giving them a compliment in making an offer.  I would start at 15-20% below their asking price, and see how the negotiating trends.  If they won't negotiate, you have to decide if their asking price is what you could get as an owner selling it on eBay.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:07 AM, Lukesaurus said:

My interest in the photo journal is because as you said im just getting into the golden age . Besides DC superheroes and EC horror i have no idea what is out there . Already because of this thread i started looking at a lot more titles. It’s like a whole new world has opened up from obscure superheroes to great sci fi covers .

Just wait til you discover Doll Man! 

...the longer you hunt GA books, the more esoteric your tastes become 😉

5CDFA982-4E7E-42FA-9412-19BA19C2620E.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

Anyone with the latest Guide nearby can let me know what the prices are for a Chamber of Chills #16 ? I'm at work right now and can't find any info online , go collect an ebay sold are dead ends .

2.0-$37, 4.0-$74, 6.0-$111, 8.0-$222, 9.0-$361, 9.2-$500

MyComicShop.com has a 4.5 for $320, so I guess this is an overguide book...:whatthe:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian