• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My golden age adventure
4 4

153 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2019 at 5:34 PM, OtherEric said:

Just a couple examples of what you can find still in PCH and DC superheroes.  I bought both of these books at ECCC this weekend, for $70 total.  It's NOT to late to get into the Golden Age, even with your specific interests!

Tales_from_the_Crypt_41.jpg

I just realized that the way the shadow was shaded makes it look like that gal has a really hairy lower leg! I've seen that cover countless times but had never noticed that detail before. (:

One doesn’t necessarily have to stick with superhero or horror comics, there are a plethora of entertaining romance books that can be still had at reasonable prices.

But time does march on; now in my 40th year in the hobby, I seriously doubt that I would be able to build a similar collection nowadays (too high prices, too much competition).

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

One doesn’t necessarily have to stick with superhero or horror comics, there are a plethora of entertaining romance books that can be still had at reasonable prices.

But time does march on; now in my 40th year in the hobby, I seriously doubt that I would be able to build a similar collection nowadays (too high prices, too much competition).

Agreed, at least AFA the horror genre, the prices are absolutely ridiculous, even as compared to just a few years ago.  That also goes for certain crime books as well.  And grade doesn't matter.  An iconic cover will fetch an insane price even in fair condition.  I have a Mister Mystery 12 that is a rag, bought for two bucks in 1973, and a similar one recently sold at an HA auction for damn near 3 grand.  Like I said, insane.

7 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

@Lukesaurus Do you know about Weird Terror #1?

I did not , thanks for letting me know .

@fifties Thank you for posting the cover .

To answer my own question 1 month after starting this thread . It's not to late but it's harder than 5 years ago and it will be harder for people starting in 5 years from now , so theres that :devil:

Now thanks to some wonderful people on these boards and their great suggestions i was able to pick a few GA PCH and Sci-Fi books . Nothing high grade or really wow , more on the low grade of things but i am ok with that, as I didn't spend that much on them.

Unfortunatelly they are still in shipping so no pictures yet :frustrated: