• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here is a solution on how to "save" comics

19 posts in this topic

Feel free to rip this apart.

If I was Marvel or DC I would pair down the titles to 10 that would be put in a monthly trade consisting of all the titles and would be shipped to your door for $10 all in each month. If you pay annually it's $100. 

Get rid of the middle man.  

Ship from one location direct to consumer.

Makes each title feel important with top talent contributing

Single issues available at cons

Edited by Blastaar

6 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

If I was Marvel or DC I would pair down the titles to 10 monthly issues that would all be included in a monthly trade that would be shipped to your door for $10 all in. If you pay annually it's $100. 

I don’t think that would save the market. Let’s say 40,000 people subscribed,

40,000 x $100 = $4 million gross

lets say you do the unthinkable and increase subscriptions by 5x which would be huge, you are sitting at $20 million gross. I haven’t done the back end math but I don’t think that is too good and I think my numbers are way on the high side for participation. 

I'd be happy with the current sales model if they just reduced the output to something manageable...

Not counting any of the stupid variants, reprints, collections, or non-MU material (Spider-Man game, Marvel Tales, Star Wars, Conan...), the pre-order discount price to order 1 copy of every MU book is $199.50.  That's with just under a 40% discount, so newsstand is nearly $400.  Ridiculous.

Not even going to pretend that the exercise of counting up everything with the variants is worthwhile...

52 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

If I was Marvel or DC I would pair down the titles to 10 monthly issues that would all be included in a monthly trade that would be shipped to your door for $10 all in. If you pay annually it's $100. 

You're on the right track of eliminating the middle-man. But the middle-man is Diamond. 

How about the Big 2 do what most publishers do and sell direct to customers as well as through LCS with discounts for quantity through the LCS. If they did that, what would the world need Diamond Dist. for??

Most big publishers (HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, etc) sell direct to customers on their website, AND actually direct customers to purchase through links to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. 

Cut out Diamond, they've had a monopoly for a LONG time and their "service" is no longer needed. 

Edited by jcjames

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

If I was Marvel or DC I would pair down the titles to 10 monthly issues...

You comic dorks are always trying to get rid of November and December just like that jackwagon did with Pluto.

YOU BASTURDS!!!

27 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

10 titles monthly for 12 months. 

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

If you pay annually it's $100. 

So do you get a $20 discount if you pay annually.......or would it be $120 a year?

Edited by Domo Arigato
Didn't want to get your thread too far off track

25 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

So do you get a $20 discount if you pay annually.......or would it be $120 a year?

Yep..pay up front $100 gets you all monthly tpb. 120 issues....plus a couple crossover events.  

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

You mean the LCS?  The one entity that has put up with ALL the BS that comes with comic distribution, yet still does everything to promote the hobby?  Sorry, reducing your distribution channels to the masses is not a recipe for long term success IMO.

3 hours ago, Blastaar said:

:roflmao:

I don't even know where to start.

2 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

You mean the LCS?  The one entity that has put up with ALL the BS that comes with comic distribution, yet still does everything to promote the hobby?  Sorry, reducing your distribution channels to the masses is not a recipe for long term success IMO.

Reducing channels to the masses is what they did for several decades until all that was left was the LCS. I remember subscribing to Spider-Man through a school book fair fundraiser. I remember digests at the checkout lane at the grocery store. The LCS really is completely outdated, like the record store or the video rental store. It’s going to go, when it does Marvel and DC would be smart to not be too reliant on it for distribution 

31 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Reducing channels to the masses is what they did for several decades until all that was left was the LCS. I remember subscribing to Spider-Man through a school book fair fundraiser. I remember digests at the checkout lane at the grocery store. The LCS really is completely outdated, like the record store or the video rental store. It’s going to go, when it does Marvel and DC would be smart to not be too reliant on it for distribution 

Well, to your point, we've had several decades of decline in the avenues in which buyers (and potential buyers, short and longterm) could access these products.  How has that worked out in the long run?  Do we think that readership has increased over the last several decades?  Do we think that reducing the number of channels is a good long term move?  Or, has this been a contributor to the decline that the OP is alluding to needing to be "saved"?

With a proper partnership and actual support from the comic companies and Diamond, I don't think the LCS is going to go away any time soon.  But to have the Marvel's and DC's of the world pre-emptively make moves to kill their biggest promoters... that's not something that will ensure the longevity of the medium.

7 hours ago, Blastaar said:

If I was Marvel or DC I would pair down the titles to 10 that would be put in a monthly trade consisting of all the titles and would be shipped to your door for $10 all in each month. If you pay annually it's $100. 

so the Manga model? (I mean the trade model, not the no distributor model)

Just now, miraclemet said:

so the Manga model? (I mean the trade model, not the no distributor model)

Sort of, releasing single issues at cons will drive attendance of those who are really collecting them anyways. Printing and production from a single location will lower margins exponentially and by giving the readers access to all issues monthly you increase engagement in the product and can better estimate earnings.

4 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Sort of, releasing single issues at cons will drive attendance of those who are really collecting them anyways. Printing and production from a single location will lower margins exponentially and by giving the readers access to all issues monthly you increase engagement in the product and can better estimate earnings.

im down with it, make the single issues "collectibles" cause thats how theyre being treated anyway.

id even be down with b&w only except for the top line stories in each volume (again like the manga model)

2 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Well, to your point, we've had several decades of decline in the avenues in which buyers (and potential buyers, short and longterm) could access these products.  How has that worked out in the long run?  Do we think that readership has increased over the last several decades?  Do we think that reducing the number of channels is a good long term move?  Or, has this been a contributor to the decline that the OP is alluding to needing to be "saved"?

With a proper partnership and actual support from the comic companies and Diamond, I don't think the LCS is going to go away any time soon.  But to have the Marvel's and DC's of the world pre-emptively make moves to kill their biggest promoters... that's not something that will ensure the longevity of the medium.

I agree we need to preserve the monthly floppy following there is, but I still see that as a dying distribution method with shrinking numbers and rising prices and can’t see any way to fix it. On the other hand digital and distribution of OGN/TPB material outside the direct market is a growing market with numbers skyrocketing as far as I can tell although getting firm data is next to impossible 

I agree with 10 titles per month.   But I would still keep the medium as is not a TPB delivered to your door, keep the LCS alive, give them a break on the whole variant b.s., stop the mega cross over events.   I look at the shelf today, and shake my head on some of the titles Marvel and DC are releasing.  Totally uninteresting characters, average art, and titles I just can't put $4 behind.