• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Before I accuse this eBayer of sending me a trimmed book, help please?

15 posts in this topic

I bought a copy of Ken Shannon #10 on eBay. Received today, and at first glance I was only disappointed in the fact that it has almost certainly been pressed without that being disclosed. But, looking closer, I think it's been trimmed. I admit, however, that I am NOT an expert here. So, any help would be appreciated. comics.org says this should be "standard Silver Age size". So, I am comparing to other SA books I have handy (Flash 129 and X-Men 21...Flash is wider than X-Men by like 1/8", but they are identical lengths).

The first thing that bothered me was the straight edge on the right side. The middle wrap doesn't extend further than the rest (no "V" shape to the wraps). But, the overall width seems consistent with my other books I am comparing with. It's the same as Flash 129, and a bit wider than X-Men 21.

The biggest thing that bothers me is the overall length. I am measuring it spot on 10", and it is clearly shorter than both books.

Thoughts? Other pics that I can take that would help?

Thanks in advance.

B115F09B-A0C5-4A2D-85D1-026AF23BD39D.jpeg

CEB19E7D-2821-4E6E-AB21-B5FF3484F6C9.jpeg

2A321F01-15C8-4DBB-AEC1-CF17DA4DB38C.jpeg

D60CA03B-1692-4E3E-A765-E8D93CA66D2B.jpeg

Edited by elibowman

Really, I would love to find out that there's reason to believe it's short for a legit reason. In hand, it's very clear that it's not the same length as other books. I think this is likely a deal breaker, but I want to be sure before I go to the effort of returning.

Look at other copies of this book - several on ebay now.  You can see the detail of the cover art at the bottom and how far down it comes (fingers and shirt tail) and also the yellow logo area at the top (how far the 10cent price and badge are away from the top).

The top looks about right compared to others however to me the bottom appears significantly shorter.  You can make your own judgement, if you are not going to be happy with it, send it back.

Only thing I'll comment on is that pressing does not need to be disclosed.  It isn't a restoration and isn't disclosed by CGC or others.
Oh hell, I'll also just say that I looked up the book and every copy I've found online says to me that your copy has been trimmed at the bottom.

Edited by BobBain

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Can you return it for refund?    

Hard to tell from a pic, but it sure looks suspicious.   I'd just ask the seller for a refund before just accusing him.  

Completely agree about not accusing. I'm selling off my comics, and despite having owned thousands of them for years that I bought from others, I am no expert at all, and quite frankly, a bit clueless.

I've accidentally sent people stuff that had problems I didn't realize... and far more blatant ones than that. (an old issue of Fantastic Four with peanut butter on the inside LOL... I refunded him in full and let him keep it, but we were talking about $20 there)

So, to recap, accusation, no. Refund, yes. :)

2 hours ago, BobBain said:

Only thing I'll comment on is that pressing does not need to be disclosed.  It isn't a restoration and isn't disclosed by CGC or others.
Oh hell, I'll also just say that I looked up the book and every copy I've found online says to me that your copy has been trimmed at the bottom.

Agreed that pressing does not need to be disclosed. I just think it's a courtesy.

I also appreciate the opinions. I know I am asking you guys to opine on a book you don't have in hand. I really appreciate the help.

21 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Completely agree about not accusing. I'm selling off my comics, and despite having owned thousands of them for years that I bought from others, I am no expert at all, and quite frankly, a bit clueless.

I've accidentally sent people stuff that had problems I didn't realize... and far more blatant ones than that. (an old issue of Fantastic Four with peanut butter on the inside LOL... I refunded him in full and let him keep it, but we were talking about $20 there)

So, to recap, accusation, no. Refund, yes. :)

It certainly looks like an index fingernail's worth of the bottom is missing. 

However, using oldrover's situation, there is a possibility that the seller was also unaware of this (what we believe to be) trimming.  It could be educational to the seller to mention this without making it an accusation. 

Edited by mattn792
wrong unit of measurement