• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can THIS be a good idea???
1 1

78 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Phish&Comics said:

The seller also has this heavily restored and trimmed Batman 9 that somehow has a blue label: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-9-CGC-0-5-OW-Pages-Classic-Cover/401703962848?hash=item5d876c08e0:g:UM4AAOSwIt5cXhTp&frcectupt=true

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b2b0ad36518e71e7dbedf392d1bdc3db.jpg

The grade reflects the damage to the book. 

57 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

Slabbing a book that that has a photo copy of that book is one thing...

But slabbing a book that has a photocopy of a different book???

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401722345721

:facepalm:

Come on Man!

$499 :whatthe:

He'll be lucky to recover the slabbing cost from that frankenbook - but good luck.

Nice description "Cgc 1amazing spiderman marvel tales 138 book looks mint " It should look mint - it's a photocopy of a cover.

1 hour ago, Wally's Comics said:

Slabbing a book that that has a photo copy of that book is one thing...

But slabbing a book that has a photocopy of a different book???

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401722345721

:facepalm:

Come on Man!

Darn it, my offer of $1.00 was rejected.  I've been looking for a MT138 with a Photocopy cover of an ASM #1 for a long time too.  :frustrated:

5 hours ago, Red84 said:
6 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Odd CGC would even slab the book like this since the ulterior motive to scam someone seems pretty obvious.

It's perfectly suited to scam someone. The blue label just adds to it.

I have to disagree. Just how stupid would you have to be to get scammed by this?

obvious.jpg.559cfbecc837fb1ff2984a757bc77fdc.jpg

No Grade
Marvel Tales #138
COVERLESS
COVER IS A COLOR COPY
Reprints Amazing Spider-Man #1

What I wonder is if the submitter was scammed and for how much.

You wouldn't have to be stupid, you'd just need to be a casual buyer or new collector, unlike the folks on the boards, who breezes through the listings hits the BIN and doesn't realize what they are getting. I'd wager the seller submitted the book based on feedback.

5 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I hope no one gets ripped off by this

The label pretty much says it all. It clearly identifies exactly what it is. I would imagine that the only way you could be deceived by this and mistake it for an original, complete, 1963 issued AS #1 is if you have little to no hobby experience and are illiterate, yet by some means happen to have thousands of dollars of disposable cash to spend despite being illiterate.

Edited by James J Johnson

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

You wouldn't have to be stupid, you'd just need to be a casual buyer or new collector, unlike the folks on the boards, who breezes through the listings hits the BIN and doesn't realize what they are getting.

Not knowing what you're doing and not paying enough attention while doing it seems incredibly stupid to me. (shrug)

I'm with Lazyboy on this. The book is an NG. NO GRADE. The label clearly states what the person is actually buying. So CGC has done it's job here. A buyer knows they are purchasing a Marvel Tales 138 with a color photocopy of the cover of ASM 1.  Anyone that buys the book believing they are getting something other than what is clearly stated on the label is woefully ignorant, inattentive & SOL.