• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can THIS be a good idea???
1 1

78 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

But, as far as I understood it, a question about why CGC would slab it, and the gist of the question relegated to how much of a mistake it might be for them to do so because of the potential for fraud; that if they slab it, "it can't be a good idea" because it may be used to defraud a buyer. How? Through misrepresentation, of course. Not by manipulating the CGC label or product, but by pricing it aggressively for what it is, hoping that a buyer with a little too much enthusiasm to eagerly own an AS 1 and beat someone to the punch, may somehow hastily buy it without reading the label. 

Of course, I'm against someone defrauding a buyer by misrepresenting an item. But this is a case where if someone simply looks at the picture, the book, the slab, the label, it's all there as to what it is, and it is what it is, and CGC has made sure it is correctly identified.

I understand your contention that CGC shouldn't do this thereby chance arming an unscrupulous seller with ammunition to defraud. I get that. And I just don't see anything responsibly remiss with CGC slabbing this, as long it is labeled properly, and it is.

For that matter, if you're upset by this, why not question CGC slabbing 1966 Book and Record reprints? I'm sure more than one buyer has been fooled by that at some time. It looks like an AS 1, right? But it's not. And like this piece, CGC clearly and concisely identifies GRRs as such and if a buyer erroneously buys one of those, thinking it's the 1963, that's not on CGC, that's on the buyer and could be avoided by reading the label which CGC has provided even if the seller does not.

All good points man (thumbsu

Just hope no one gets scammed by this.

1 minute ago, bc said:

All good points man (thumbsu

Just hope no one gets scammed by this.

I hope so too because that buyer may throw his hands up in the air and prematurely walk away from a hobby that he may have otherwise found following decades of enjoyment in! I'm assuming that the only one that would buy it as an original #1 would be a rank beginner, just getting his beak wet.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I hope so too because that buyer may throw his hands up in the air and prematurely walk away from a hobby that he may have otherwise found following decades of enjoyment in! I'm assuming that the only one that would buy it as an original #1 would be a rank beginner, just getting his beak wet.

Dont fret guys-anyone that could get scammed by this would have just gotten scammed by something else if this didnt exist.  There's always suckers born, every minute.  Nuthin ya can do about it.

I remember one such apparently bought the wonder woman #1 famous first ed for a good sum and was trying to reap a profit.  No matter how much we tried to explain, including the size factor and the words FAMOUS FIRST EDITION stamped on the side he just wouldnt believe it.  Suckers never believe they are suckers.  Thats the meta level of suckerhood.

1 hour ago, bc said:

This person has too many "odd" listings to be simply dismissed as being ignorant of the current grading and pricing in comics and how to exploit it.

I'm pretty sure the seller is just an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Nothing I can see suggests they are knowledgeable or experienced when it comes to comics.

Just another example of everybody wanting a piece of the action in a hot market and why there will inevitably be another crash.

2 hours ago, mysterymachine said:

The only thing I would worry about is someone who knows nothing about comics but is buying the comic as a gift. Maybe a wife buying a book she knows her husband always wanted and she only knows what the cover looks like.

That probably helps keep the Stan Lee forgers in business.

On 3/6/2019 at 12:06 PM, Wally's Comics said:

Slabbing a book that that has a photo copy of that book is one thing...

But slabbing a book that has a photocopy of a different book???

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401722345721

:facepalm:

Come on Man!

I'm thinking one word might sum up everything here, "Greed"

Greed on the sellers part with a nice heaping of fraud, and Greed on CGC's part for slabbing a book that should not be slabbed, but deciding to take the money anyway.

The take I got from reply is they dont know much about comics, not that its some type of scam.  Perhaps they got the books from a relative and are trying to sell them or something.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:33 AM, Pontoon said:

Odd CGC would even slab the book like this since the ulterior motive to scam someone seems pretty obvious.

Isn't that an argument to slab it?  That book would be more dangerous raw that as it is right now. I'm guessing the person is familiar with the book that cgc graded a few years ago where no one noticed the cover was from an entirely different book.

1 hour ago, kav said:

The take I got from reply is they dont know much about comics, not that its some type of scam.  Perhaps they got the books from a relative and are trying to sell them or something.

Kav, the way I see it, whatever the true intention of that seller may be, he's offering legitimate CGC verified items that look to be untampered with. That is, in the same state in which they left CGC on their way back to him. They are verified to be what they are. The NG serves as a "Don't Walk" sign for any buyer who may confuse this as being something other than CGC's analysis. Can someone still be confused? I imagine they might be, just like people who don't see or heed the Don't Walk signal sometimes dart out and wind up under a bus instead of in it. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, ultimately, it's the jaywalker's fault for not seeing or heeding the sign.

Edited by James J Johnson

I wonder if CGC’s logic here is that you’re less likely to get scammed with them in slabs noting the work done to them than if they weren’t? It’s also a good argument for continuing to slab counterfeit Cerebus, which I’ve heard arguments against 

50 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I think CGC should send a group of drunken cosplayers over to their house and rough em up.

I'm not sure how well of a deterrent that would be because some people would pay good money to receive this type of treatment.

:shy: