• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal now requires identification?

41 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

You could always call them and report back here what they say

Wow - I've never been able to talk to anyone at Paypal, or even find a phone number.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I guess I don't like giving paypal my social security... but I guess I might have too...

i think it's only last 4 digits...

I did it last night. 

The reason I went in to paypal to check my settings was that my paypal payment defaults had changed (it used to let me use my balance as my 1st method of payment) and my last few purchases (paid via paypal) were just debited against the bank account I have tied to paypal.... no biggie, but I usually like to avoid having comic purchases/sales go through my bank account.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I was just in Paypal and saw nothing like this nor have I received any notification. Sounds a little "physhy" to me. I am usually asked to verify my phone number but that is it. I believe the only way Paypal needs your SS number is if you are doing over $20K in sales and will send you a 1090 form for taxes.

It depends on how long I think they do it every 5 years.  Always be suspicious of emails but you can log in to your paypal or call to verify.

2 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:
3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't have a problem with it (shrug) My main problem is ebay no longer using PayPal as a go between and wanting to handle my bank info......

ebay doesnt take paypal anymore??

That was the rumor a month ago, there was a link, and everyone I've pm'd says the same....... BUT I haven't heard it from ebay.... that's kind of why I brought it up, for someone to post the link again....

If I find it I'll get back to you, but it is a transition and not an immediate type thing....

@jcjames didn't someone post that link to ebay's update recently, are the rumors true?

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
12 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:
3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't have a problem with it (shrug) My main problem is ebay no longer using PayPal as a go between and wanting to handle my bank info......

That was the rumor a month ago, there was a link, and everyone I've pm'd says the same....... BUT I haven't heard it from ebay.... that's kind of why I brought it up, for someone to post the link again....

If I find it I'll get back to you, but it is a transition and not an immediate type thing....

lol your welcome to call and ask about it, I did. They said that PayPal will still be available to use for purchases. The transitions only affects 2% of selllers at the moment, will be for everyone eventually that instead when you sell, it will go into your bank account directly, avoiding that 3% fee, and they could not give me definitive tax info..... PayPal's was over $20,000 OR 200 transactions.... so I'm not sure what ebay's terms will be....

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@jcjames didn't someone post that link to ebay's update recently, are the rumors true?

I think there was a thread about the transition coming, but not this year

22 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

Sounds like a good thing if PayPal fee is going to be waived. 

I wonder how theyll handle income taxes and sending out forms, same as PayPal?

I have seriously considered going "old style" and asking for just checks and money orders. Less of an electronic "trail". I don't sell much on ebay anymore but there was a time when you COULDN"T ask for checks or money orders when they first associated themselves with PayPal. If you said so, it was flagged and they closed your auction. I got around it by asking for "other forms of traditional paper payment" which worked. I think people are just so used to PayPal now that it is a forgone conclusion except maybe here.

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol your welcome to call and ask about it, I did. They said that PayPal will still be available to use for purchases. The transitions only affects 2% of selllers at the moment, will be for everyone eventually that instead when you sell, it will go into your bank account directly, avoiding that 3% fee, and they could not give me definitive tax info..... PayPal's was over $20,000 OR 200 transactions.... so I'm not sure what ebay's terms will be....

It's over 20K AND 200 transactions.

21 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ebay does the $20,000 AND 200 transactions

Edited by the blob

On 3/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

I’ve run into a handful of sellers that don’t. Apple Pay is the alternative. I made an Apple Pay account and it’s not a huge deal as far as buying is concerned, not sure what it’s like as a seller yet