PayPal now requires identification?

41 posts in this topic

40,133 posts
2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

You could always call them and report back here what they say

Wow - I've never been able to talk to anyone at Paypal, or even find a phone number.

11,795 posts
2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I guess I don't like giving paypal my social security... but I guess I might have too...

i think it's only last 4 digits...

I did it last night. 

The reason I went in to paypal to check my settings was that my paypal payment defaults had changed (it used to let me use my balance as my 1st method of payment) and my last few purchases (paid via paypal) were just debited against the bank account I have tied to paypal.... no biggie, but I usually like to avoid having comic purchases/sales go through my bank account.

5,249 posts

I just make my PayPal purchases go to my credit card. 

842 posts
3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't have a problem with it (shrug) My main problem is ebay no longer using PayPal as a go between and wanting to handle my bank info......

ebay doesnt take paypal anymore??

842 posts
59 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Wow - I've never been able to talk to anyone at Paypal, or even find a phone number.

i have, and it's surprisingly not that hard to get a human on the phone there. 

46,048 posts
1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I was just in Paypal and saw nothing like this nor have I received any notification. Sounds a little "physhy" to me. I am usually asked to verify my phone number but that is it. I believe the only way Paypal needs your SS number is if you are doing over $20K in sales and will send you a 1090 form for taxes.

It depends on how long I think they do it every 5 years.  Always be suspicious of emails but you can log in to your paypal or call to verify.

8,112 posts
2 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

I don't have a problem with it (shrug) My main problem is ebay no longer using PayPal as a go between and wanting to handle my bank info......

That was the rumor a month ago, there was a link, and everyone I've pm'd says the same....... BUT I haven't heard it from ebay.... that's kind of why I brought it up, for someone to post the link again....

If I find it I'll get back to you, but it is a transition and not an immediate type thing....

@jcjames didn't someone post that link to ebay's update recently, are the rumors true?

46,048 posts
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 1.46.18 PM.png

8,112 posts
7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
12 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

That was the rumor a month ago, there was a link, and everyone I've pm'd says the same....... BUT I haven't heard it from ebay.... that's kind of why I brought it up, for someone to post the link again....

If I find it I'll get back to you, but it is a transition and not an immediate type thing....

lol your welcome to call and ask about it, I did. They said that PayPal will still be available to use for purchases. The transitions only affects 2% of selllers at the moment, will be for everyone eventually that instead when you sell, it will go into your bank account directly, avoiding that 3% fee, and they could not give me definitive tax info..... PayPal's was over $20,000 OR 200 transactions.... so I'm not sure what ebay's terms will be....

3,057 posts
1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@jcjames didn't someone post that link to ebay's update recently, are the rumors true?

I think there was a thread about the transition coming, but not this year

3,532 posts

Sounds like a good thing if PayPal fee is going to be waived. 

8,112 posts
22 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

Sounds like a good thing if PayPal fee is going to be waived. 

I wonder how theyll handle income taxes and sending out forms, same as PayPal?

17,852 posts

I have seriously considered going "old style" and asking for just checks and money orders. Less of an electronic "trail". I don't sell much on ebay anymore but there was a time when you COULDN"T ask for checks or money orders when they first associated themselves with PayPal. If you said so, it was flagged and they closed your auction. I got around it by asking for "other forms of traditional paper payment" which worked. I think people are just so used to PayPal now that it is a forgone conclusion except maybe here.

17,732 posts
4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol your welcome to call and ask about it, I did. They said that PayPal will still be available to use for purchases. The transitions only affects 2% of selllers at the moment, will be for everyone eventually that instead when you sell, it will go into your bank account directly, avoiding that 3% fee, and they could not give me definitive tax info..... PayPal's was over $20,000 OR 200 transactions.... so I'm not sure what ebay's terms will be....

It's over 20K AND 200 transactions.

16,176 posts
2 minutes ago, rjpb said:

It's over 20K AND 200 transactions.

Unless you live in VT or MA, in which case if you hit $600 in PP transactions regardless of amount you're on the hook.

19,504 posts
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ebay does the $20,000 AND 200 transactions

Edited by the blob

19,504 posts

I did not receive this notice. I think it is bogus. Though it is possible I gave Paypal my SS a long time ago, although I do try to avoid that if possible.

720 posts

I think I got a notice like this from them a year or two ago. Must be a very slow rollout.

12,491 posts
On 3/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

I’ve run into a handful of sellers that don’t. Apple Pay is the alternative. I made an Apple Pay account and it’s not a huge deal as far as buying is concerned, not sure what it’s like as a seller yet

1,031 posts

I've logged into paypal many times in the past 2 weeks and I still haven't seen that message. (shrug)