• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resubmitting a CGC-Slabbed Book for Regrading

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but it falls under "grading" so I thought I'd try here...

I have a friend who submitted a bunch of books to CGC for the first time last year, and he's thinking about resubmitting one of them for regrading (he thinks it should have graded higher, and there was nothing major in the graders notes to make him think otherwise).

My question is this...he doesn't feel comfortable cracking the book out of the slab himself, and was wondering if he could just resubmit the slabbed book to CGC?

He'll be submitting the slabbed book with some other books that will be bagged and boarded, and is not sure if submitting books in mixed "formats" (one slabbed and the rest bagged and boarded) will impact anything.

Thanks!

Art

The book can be shipped to CGC in the slab.  CGC will open it. Probably would be wise to include a note that says "please take this book out of the slab and regrade it", but that might not be necessary.  I believe the fine print in a submission to CGC already says you authorize them to remove from the holder any books already professionally graded. 

As for you question about "impacting anything". No.  To CGC, the only impact is if the books fall into more than one tier, based on age and value.  CGC doesn't combine shipments of different tiers. So if you send in a mix of books published before or after 1975, or a mix of books with some valued over $200 and others less, you will have more than one box of books shipped back to you. This matters because of postage costs. The golden rule of shipping is the first pound - or in this case book - is the most expensive. Two books costs just a few dollars more than one for return shipping. Five books just a few dollars more than two books. 

On 3/8/2019 at 4:42 PM, SBRobin said:

Before submitting to CGC, why not submit to the Hey buddy, can you spare a grade? forum and ask for opinions on whether it could grade up? Could save a bit of money and hassle. 

Good idea, @SBRobin! I'll ask him if he wants to do this...the book is currently slabbed, so hopefully he has a scanner that can do it justice.