• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spectacular Spider-man # 1 40 cent variant
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I found a Spectacular Spider-man # 1 magazine 40 cent variant in about 6.5 - 7.0 condition. Anyone have any idea of a price? I know it's rare because the CGC Cencus only has 6 of the 40 cent variant certified and 243 of the regular 35 cent comics.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:48 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Not sure of value, but pretty sure is a Canadian Edition that you have.  

Yes it is. I don't think a lot sold because at the time (1968) the Canadian dollar was on par or better than the American dollar. I look at the CGC registry and only 6 have been graded.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:03 PM, pemart1966 said:

There was a thread on this a short while back...

I know. Just last year but it didn't really answer a lot of questions. It is a Canadian comic and only 6 have been graded by CGC. That's about all i can dig up. The comic price guides don't recognize how rare it is because of lack of sales. Most guides have it at the same price as the 35 cent American comic. Oh well the research continues. Thanks for our comment.

12 minutes ago, Mills35 said:

Yes it is. I don't think a lot sold because at the time (1968) the Canadian dollar was on par or better than the American dollar. I look at the CGC registry and only 6 have been graded.

I remember this very well.  It was at the local corner store where I bought almost all of my comics.  I didn't buy it and neither did anyone else.

It was priced at 40 cents which was a LOT of money back then especially if you were relying on cashing in 2 cent used pop bottles in order to fund your comic purchases.  

40 cents was higher than the price of 3 regular comics.  As well, it was in black and white which caused second thoughts.

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I remember this very well.  It was at the local corner store where I bought almost all of my comics.  I didn't buy it and neither did anyone else.

It was priced at 40 cents which was a LOT of money back then especially if you were relying on cashing in 2 cent used pop bottles in order to fund your comic purchases.  

40 cents was higher than the price of 3 regular comics.  As well, it was in black and white which caused second thoughts.

Yes I'm of that age of cashing in pop bottles and I had a paper route. I cant find any that were sold any where. Research, research.......

It's not a magazine that goes for a whole lot of money even in very high grade.  Currently, I don't see a very large premium, if any, attached to the Canadian version.

Were there warehouse finds of the US version by any chance?

2 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

It's not a magazine that goes for a whole lot of money even in very high grade.  Currently, I don't see a very large premium, if any, attached to the Canadian version.

Were there warehouse finds of the US version by any chance?

In my research one of the persons who listed this comic at $5,000.00 compared it to the 30 - 35 cent variants as their base. Doesn't rarity count for something?

36 minutes ago, Mills35 said:

In my research one of the persons who listed this comic at $5,000.00 compared it to the 30 - 35 cent variants as their base. Doesn't rarity count for something?

Listing it at $5,000 and selling it at $5,000 are two completely different animals.  The only thing that counts is verified sales.

Demand is king - not rarity.

Edited by pemart1966

On 3/9/2019 at 1:29 PM, pemart1966 said:

@pemart1966 in your scenario you were in Canada yes when you observed the 40 cent variant on the stands?

One thing through observation over the years (of what comes to market) I can confirm is that it is much more scarce in comparison to the 35 cent counterpart.

2 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

@pemart1966 in your scenario you were in Canada yes when you observed the 40 cent variant on the stands?

One thing through observation over the years (of what comes to market) I can confirm is that it is much more scarce in comparison to the 35 cent counterpart.

Yes.

It stands to reason that the 40 cent version is much more scarce as it was printed for the Canadian market whereas the 35 cent version was printed for the US market.  The Canadian version had a much, much smaller print run.

When I bought this book off the stands I saw that it was priced 35 cents, "40 cents in Can", and I thought it meant you could pay a nickel more to get one inside a tin can.

Edited by bluechip

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

When I bought this book off the stands I saw that it was priced 35 cents, "40 cents in Can", and I thought it meant you could pay a nickel more to get one inside a tin can.

There are at least 2 different cover pricings on #1.  One has 35 cents 40 cents in Can and the second version has only the 40 cent pricing.  I don't think that I've ever seen one with just the 35 cent pricing on it.

Edited by pemart1966

On 3/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, bounty_coder said:

I didn't buy it when it came out in 1968. I bought it recently at a comic store in the basement in Canada. Yes absolutely it's really rare because.I can't find any sales of the 40 cent variant. 

spec spman 1.jpeg

Edited by Mills35
insert pic

On 3/12/2019 at 10:56 PM, pemart1966 said:

On page 1 of my Canadian version the price in the indica is listed as 35 cents.   

I just looked and mine too. I imagine the inside was the same and just the cover price was different. Good looking copy.