• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"NOT 9.8!"

36 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Darkowl said:

So dumb. I purposely search for 9.8 copies on ebay, only for listings that AREN'T 9.8 to pop up. Really people? Such a pathetic attempt to get more views on your listings. 

One my biggest eBay search pet-peeves.  When selling a raw book, don't put a CGC grade in the title...seriously.

5 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

One my biggest eBay search pet-peeves.  When selling a raw book, don't put a CGC grade in the title...seriously.

There's no such thing as a "CGC grade" (unless you just mean they are keyword spamming "CGC" in the listing title). CGC uses the same grading scale as everybody else.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

There's no such thing as a "CGC grade" (unless you just mean they are keyword spamming "CGC" in the listing title). CGC uses the same grading scale as everybody else.

Yes, the spamming of CGC in a listing title I guess is what I should be referring to more than anything else.  HOWEVER, if the seller puts "CGC 9.8" in their listing title and it's a RAW book, then it's just not entirely true is it?  That's what's annoying.

Edited by sagekilz

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

I would say a CGC 9.8 is a completely different thing than a PGX 9.8.

6 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I think the one time it might be ok use "Not 9.8" is if you're selling a 9.9.

It's not okay, but it is understandable, like including "double" in a triple(+) cover listing.

People are using so many "not ____" phrases in their auctions that its tough to figure out what it really is. I guess if you eliminate everything that the auction isn't, you will eventually figure out what it is. hm

While we're on the subject of venting. Do a search for "Comic free bag and board" and see how many items pop up. Remember that free bag and board is VERY important. You don't want to be paying extra for it.

13 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

People are using so many "not ____" phrases in their auctions that its tough to figure out what it really is. I guess if you eliminate everything that the auction isn't, you will eventually figure out what it is. hm

While we're on the subject of venting. Do a search for "Comic free bag and board" and see how many items pop up. Remember that free bag and board is VERY important. You don't want to be paying extra for it.

If ebay cared they would be on the hunt for any listings with the word 'not' in them.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:35 PM, Lazyboy said:

It's not okay, but it is understandable, like including "double" in a triple(+) cover listing.

I'd say it's okay. If I'm looking for a 9.8 of something, I'd certainly be willing to take a 9.9 if it's a similar price, and I'm generally not going to be doing a search for a 9.9 unless I already know that one is currently listed and I need to find the listing that's there. I suspect the vase majority of collectors would agree.