• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to CGC | Grading & Insights

3 posts in this topic

Apologies for the long first post,:blahblah: and thank you to those who took the time to read it. :smile:

I'm a longtime collector of all things Spider-Man, including approximately 1,000 assorted Spider-Man comics, spanning several years, but primarily in the 80s, 90s, & 00s. I haven't seriously collected any comics in quite a few years, only picking up titles that have caught my eye, or tugged on my nostalgia for the hobby. I have also been familiar with CGC for many years, but I've never submitted a comic(s) for grading, nor have I attended an industry show where CGC was in attendance. The latter is in large part due to my being in Canada.

So, here are my questions, and requests for any insight from longtime members:

I recently purchased The Amazing Spider-Man #14 Signed Variant Covers (A,B,C,D), from the J. Scott Campbell website, primarily because they paired well with the Sideshow Collectibles Polystone Comiquette Statues, of the same designs, which I own. I'd like to display the comics with the Polystone Statues, and the CGC Slab would make this more feasible while protecting them from damage. From what I can gather on the CGC website, these items, were I to have them graded, wouldn't be applicable to the Signature Series, because the signature wasn't directly witnessed by a CGC Representative.

• Which CGC Label would these comics fall into? Is such a Label less preferable to collectors?
  • Noting my assumption about the Signature Series Label, how is it possible that I'm seeing these specific comics on sites like eBay with the Signature Series Label, yet looking just like the ones I have?

Some of you younger collectors may find this surprising, but in the 80s and 90s, I used to attend local, very basic, comic shows and comic artists would be in attendance, and you would NOT have to pay for a signature.:whatthe: You could just wait in line with your comics, meet the artist, and in some instances spend a minute or two chatting with them, as they signed your comic(s). If you were really fortunate, you might even get a small sketch with your signature. As a result, I have several signed comics that I know wouldn't be applicable to the CGC Signature Series Label. Is it even worth bothering to have them graded? I know the signatures are real, I don't really have any plans to sell the comics, but I like the idea of the comics being protected and in some instances, perhaps more valuable. That way when I kick the dust,:angel: my wife/daughter can get as much as possible for them.:nyah:

• A few examples:
    • The Amazing Spider-Man #298, #299, #300; all signed by Todd McFarlane
    • The Amazing Spider-Man #324; signed by Todd McFarlane on the cover and Erik Larsen on page 1
    • The Amazing Spider-Man #327 to #332; signed by Erik Larsen
    • Spider-Man (two variant covers); signed by Todd McFarlane

All of my comics have been sitting, bagged and boarded, in long boxes, in the closet for 10+ years. I recently cataloged them all with the CLZ App, so I'd know what I actually had. I have NO plans to sell any, but for those who'd like a look, and might have some suggestions on comics I should consider having graded; here is my collection...

Thanks for reading and any replies.

I'm impressed that you have a Chuck Norris comic.

Did he count to infinity in it (twice) ??

I've read here that you get the it's only Qualified label for unverified exterior signatures if the book is high grade. If it's a lower grade book it gets the Universal label.

You'd have to go to another company who use some type of verfication service to validate unwitnessed signatures.  I don't know much about it other than that.

Hi OP, yes you are correct signatures must be witnessed by CGC in order to get a signature series label. You would get a green qualified label - you can read more about it here as this was answered before https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/410927-treatment-of-unwitnessed-signed-comics/.

In my opinion, collectors don't find signatures that have not been officially witnessed by CGC desirable, keep in mind I'm talking about people who favor CGC signature series slabs.There are those who don't mind a raw signed book or another grading service that validate signatures, although honestly there is no 100% proof  way of validating signatures, which is why CGC doesn't do it unless if by witness.

Lastly there are those who don't even like signatures on their books period, and only collect universal blue labels.

Hope this helps, feel free to reach out with anymore questions!