• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED: My Nominee for the "First Great Comic Collector"
12 12

360 posts in this topic

I just want to encourage everyone here to buy Greg Sadowski's "Brain Bats of Venus" book about Wolverton.  

https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Bats-Venus-Wolverton-1942-1952/dp/1683962141/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Brain+Bats&qid=1573195714&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-1

It's a great book and Greg is a great guy.  He has kindly shared with me some of Wigransky's letters to Wolverton and I hope to incorporate information from those letters into my eventual article on Dave.  What I've seen so far includes some astounding info that until this year I would have thought unbelievable.  I've also tracked down some great info on Dave from the Jolson collecting community, and am now in contact with one of Dave's friends from the time period of 1963 until Dave's death.  I'm hoping this contact solves the mystery of when Dave stopped collecting comics (if he did). I may sound more than a bit obsessed by the Dave Wigransky story, but  the more I learn, the more I know this is a story that needs to be compiled and shared.  Dave was so far ahead of his time as a collector that it defies belief.  But so out of tune with the world, that it is heartrending.

On 10/21/2019 at 10:17 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yep.  I'm re-thinking whether Simon & Kirby gave him the May 1947 cover posted at the beginning of this thread as thanks for his defense of comics (my assumption), or whether he just wrote them and asked for it.  I think it was the later because of the note by S&K is "Best Wishes and Good Luck" not thanks.

Turns out that Dave Wigransky went to NY in the Summer of 1948 and met with S&K on that trip.  That's probably when he got the S&K cover.  And that's after his article rebutting Wertham appeared.  So S&K did probably give the cover art to Dave as thanks for his defense of comics.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, sfcityduck said:

So here is a picture of Sidney David Wigransky, Jr., sitting in the comic book room he had in his parent's house in Washington, D.C.  At the time, his comic room housed around 5,000 to 6,000 comics or so, most of which he had bought off the stand.  This picture was taken in July of 1948:

1243995088_Wigranskypic.thumb.png.5eb61ab8d857a653d80e005debbab527.png

There's a lot to learn from this photo.  

First, take a look at the easily identifiable comics.  They span in time from 1935 to 1948.  They cover a wide array of genres.  They are:

* Famous Funnies 17 (Dec. 1935)
 * Whiz 15 (March 1941)
 * Stuntman 1 (April/May 1946)
 * True Crime Comics vol. 1, no. 2 (May 1947)
 * Powerhouse Pepper 2 (Spring 1948)
 * Two Gun Kid 1 (March 1948)

Second, look at the comic storage.  All of his comics are very neatly stacked and separated in their respective cubes.  Clearly, they are organized.  And this guy had a frigging comic book room in 1948!

Third, look at the comics themselves.  These aren't comics "showing too much love."  Instead, they are flat (unless "newsstand fresh"), with square corners, and aren't showing rips or creases.  

Fourth, look at him.  He's relatively young.  Only 14.  Yet, he is holding a copy of a comic from 1935 (13 years old) that is in really nice shape!  He clearly was not only pursuing back issues, he was pursuing really nice looking back issues!

In sum, this guy was a serious collector, with a serious collection, being kept in great shape.

Oh ... one other thing, the photo is obviously a professional photo.  This collector had already, at his obvious young age achieved a degree of fame that the news media was photographing him.  

As a point of fact, he was being photographed in connection with an article he'd written about comic collecting for a national publication (more on that later). 

The name "Sidney David Wigransky, Jr." still not ringing any bells?  Well, at that point in his life, he tended to go by the name "David Pace Wigransky," and that's the name under which he wrote the article for the national publication.

From now on, we'll call him "Dave."  

What?! How can he be considered a "great comic collector" when he didn't slab his comics? In fact it doesn't look as if he even bagged and boarded them!

:whatthe:

Frankly, its learning new stuff like this that keeps the wonder of collecting alive for me.  Learning history that's new to me, about old comics I'd never heard of before, stuff like that make comic collecting a joyous onion with new layers of discovery always available.  Ok, maybe "joyous onion" is a stupid phrase, but its the best I got right now.

Bonus points for whoever can identify the comics those panels are cut from.

Edited by sfcityduck

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Frankly, its learning new stuff like this that keeps the wonder of collecting alive for me.  Learning history that's new to me, about old comics I'd never heard of before, stuff like that make comic collecting a joyous onion with new layers of discovery always available.  Ok, maybe "joyous onion" is a stupid phrase, but its the best I got right now.

Bonus points for whoever can identify the comics those panels are cut from.

I may have cheated :/

Superman 16.

5FddI4j.jpg

Edited by waaaghboss

On 2/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, Marty Mann said:

I believe his prize was the same as mine, a copy of PEP COMICS #62. Truly a surprise to see this page from PEP #60

posted.  Haven't looked at my copy in years...such a big day for me when I picked it up.

IMG   PEP #62  (200 dpi).jpg

Marty,

Are you Saying you won this contest?  Are you listed in the winners? (No need to reveal your real name)

I just stumbled onto this thread while doing a search for Bangzoom's original thread and was thoroughly captivated by this story and how it was revealed post by post.

@sfcityduck well done on this work. 

One note, the story of Ernie Gerber ripping off the mom doesn't surprise me after listening to Jay Maybruck's interview with V. Zurzolo many years ago.  While he gave the comic world an incredible resource with the guides, Gerber seems to have been a really crappy person. 

Edited by 40sJohn

4 hours ago, 40sJohn said:

I just stumbled onto this thread while doing a search for Bangzoom's original thread and was thoroughly captivated by this story and how it was revealed post by post.

@sfcityduck well done on this work. 

One note, the story of Ernie Gerber ripping off the mom doesn't surprise me after listening to Jay Maybruck's interview with V. Zurzolo many years ago.  While he gave the comic world an incredible resource with the guides, Gerber seems to have been a really crappy person. 

To be clear, the story you are referring to was not about Dave Wigransky's mother but, I believe, concerned allegations related to a West Coast collector's wife.

20 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

To be clear, the story you are referring to was not about Dave Wigransky's mother but, I believe, concerned allegations related to a West Coast collector's wife.

Yes, thanks for that, I may have gotten that mixed up.  Again, great job of bringing this subject and Dave's story to us.