• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freakin' Awesome Art Day!

8 posts in this topic

Now prepping this painting for matting and framing.  A print-maker friend in Los Angeles is recreating the missing captioned materials for me.  In the meantime, the painting's now had the needed light restoration work performed.  The masked-off areas (now fully revealed) don't really contain any detailed paintwork - being more of bleed areas where the artist extended his painting to edges of the artboard. As such, mostly a base coat of blue paint - with detailed work being performed in the central image as it appeared in the resulting printed poster (if that makes sense?). The bottom blank area (where captioned materials once existed) has also been cleaned-up, with all traces of tape and glue-staining eliminated. It's nice to see what art was underneath the masking but, aesthetically, need to be hidden again under a (removable) matt. Three photographs that follow show: 1. The artwork as purchased. 2. The artwork with paper remnants removed, showing the entire surface area. 3. The image as I intend to have it matted and framed.

FB 1.jpg

FB 2.jpg

FB 3.jpg

Edited by The Voord

13 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Are you restoring the original colors before what looks like fading? I didn't know that was possible.

Are you referring to differences between photos?  If so, it's down to natural light sources in-between taking photographs.  The first photo was provided by the auction house for its listing.  Others taken by me.

Edited by The Voord

11 hours ago, The Voord said:

There is no fading on the central image of the painting, it's just that the artist, Bryan Bysouth, used deeper blues in the bleed areas.  If you compare the painting to the printed movie poster  image (in my first post), you should notice that (if anything) the colours look brighter on the original painting.  The fact that the artist subdued the blues with the addition of browns in the central image tends to give the impression of jarring differences in colour.  Definitely no fading.

I was comparing it to the colors in the actual, final art you posted where the images look a bit crisper.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I was comparing it to the colors in the actual, final art you posted where the images look a bit crisper.

Ah, right, then it's a case of photography.  The auction house photo was a bit dull; my ones look sharper and more colourful.  Same painted artwork.

Edited by The Voord

I'm in love!! 

What a classic piece. Filled with nostalgia and skilled execution and all the good things we got into this hobby for in the first place. 

Congrats!!