• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed ASM 298 got a universal label, not qualified. Why?

8 posts in this topic

I recently purchased an Amazing Spider-Man 298 from eBay. The book is graded 9.0 with a universal label. It said it was signed by Todd McFarlane but was not a signature series or a qualified label. After looking at the picture I decided that the signature must have been on the outside of the case. Once I received the book I see that the very authentic looking signature is indeed on the actual front cover of the book. It has a blue universal label and no notes other than the standard. I looked up the number to verify the cgc certification and even paid the extra $5 for certifyers notes. These make no mention of a signature. Curious as to what happened here. Thanks

Here are pics of the issue in question. The case is flawless and has not been tampered with. The book looks to be a 9.4-9.6 to me. I just think it’s odd that it didn’t receive a qualified label or any mention of the signature 

978A7D62-BE8C-4A6D-B915-9B175A8448A9.jpeg

C11E0FB2-23D8-470E-8BEA-057192A4FBAE.jpeg

2FD4C22F-9E14-4106-8168-32F9C685B39A.jpeg

9291802A-9C95-4E26-BB9A-008B0B79B2F8.jpeg

Gotta admit that one has me curious as well. Typically you see "name written on cover" or something like that if it's actually on the book itself and yeah, I would have thought green label, but like was mentioned before it's not unheard of for them to downgrade a book that in this case might have been a 9.6 or even 9.8 to a 9.0 for a defect such as a name written on cover.

OP - you can always call the CGC and ask to speak with someone about it. 

1.877.NM.COMIC

Thanks for all the input

like I said, I paid the extra $5 for the graders notes and here’s a screenshot of the email they sent me. No mention of the signature. And the book seems to be in EXCELLENT condition. So I’m thinking the signature brought the grade down to a 9.0 but the grader messed up and didn’t add it to his notes and therefore must have forgot to make it a qualified book. Which troubles me a little because I’d rather have a blue label then a green. But not if it brought down the grade

7A78FF05-7EDC-456F-BBC0-22199B332BEC.png