• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real McFarlane sketch?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

While fans refer to the show as SDCC, the organizers themselves refer to the show simply as "Comic Con" or "Comic Con International" so IMHO the COA letter is a red flag when I see "San Diego Comic Con" .  I can't make out the last name but try googling his name.

As far as the artwork itself, the lines look too thick to be McFarlane.  There does not seem to be any variation in the weight of the signature either. 

Somebody else can verify but in 2001, SDCC show dates were July 21 - 24.  From the photo, the COA says July 27, 2001. 

My 2 cents.

Edited by NelsonAI
Additions

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

Signature looks off. The sketch doesn’t look like any Spider-Man I’ve seen.

Agree on both signature and drawing.

And even if real, why buy McSpidey if it doesn't look/feel like McSpidey? Then you're blowing $300 for the signature and a stuck with tough re-sell. IF real. (And I'm very much with the doubters.)

I would doubt this item very much. I've seen a lot of items like this come out recently. Ive never heard of the SDCC artist association. Do they have a website or a list of publicly verified members? Anyone know of this James Simey (looks like that anyway)? Anyone ever heard of him as someone working with show promotion or Comic art production? Does the COA in anyway shape or form tie itself to this specific piece of art? Is there contact information for this group you can validate their COA with?

A COA is just a piece of paper, you can design as many as you want on a standard paint app on your PC. They mean nothing on their own. It's the organization, item specific referencing, and the guarantee behind them that add any sort of value.

Answer those questions, then proceed with the buy.

For what its worth also, just looking at the piece it looks very odd. A better photo would probably help.

Oh, and lots of people looked into everything on the COA last time and none of that exists. It is entirely fictional. My guess is they keep tracing something by Todd, maybe. It looks like they are all the same sketch image and only the signature moves.

16 hours ago, Madman1138 said:

Definitely a fake. He has sold this one (or variations thereof) several times using the same bunk COA. There were discussions in FB groups when they sold before and I save everything. See images below.

bogus McFarlane.png

bogus McFarlane 2.png

Wow Madman, great catch! That nails it for sure!