• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-men 1

18 posts in this topic

So I finally acquired one of my most sought after books and I couldn’t be happier - my question is really two fold 

a) what is your assessment of the grade ?

b) would it benefit from a press ?

now ... there are some slight pen marks around angels leg which doesnt necessarily look like “ restoration “ to me and hopefully is viewed as just doodling , there is a hole punch in the top right corner , a 1.5” tear and there is also some slight water marks around angel but I think the grade is low enough not to be implicated too much by these issues . I was thinking of sending to CCS prior to grading to press / assess as I don’t want to send this is the mail more than once . Lastly , the photo was taken adjacent to a lamp so don’t let the gloss deceive the picture .

thanks for any insight 

- Adam 

226793D4-8488-4932-8775-6A816A4BB1CF.jpeg

4C541546-30CD-4AE2-B9DA-E480DD44B4C6.jpeg

68021A2C-52D6-4CF8-B845-A1F9147D5C99.jpeg

A86AD525-A837-4DA1-8D41-5E4F0FD468BB.jpeg

5359461A-7FC2-409F-A453-877F3E697C7C.jpeg

028804AA-40AE-4DD1-A901-8DBD6F5BABB2.jpeg

5FF2B3D8-6BB4-4C95-9E6E-2E8D2251B705.jpeg

Edited by Old_Man_Adam
I can’t spell

Great book in any condition!

Spoiler

1.8 IMHO!

1). I don't think the book would benefit from a press, but I am not an expert in that field.

2). I don't think the pen marks would be considered restoration, it appears as though someone was tracing the character.

Edited by timfinz

8 minutes ago, timfinz said:

Great book in any condition!

Reveal hidden contents

1.8 IMHO!

1). I don't think the book would benefit from a press, but I am not an expert in that field.

2). I don't think the pen marks would be considered restoration, it appears as though someone was tracing the character.

Thanks ! 

The pen marks around The Angel appear to be just that. I wouldn't subject this to a press---it may hurt more than help. It appears the cover is still attached; that's a plus. I don't see any obvious signs of resto, either. Is it complete? Books in this grade are often missing something (hopefully not). All-in-all, it's pretty rough, but still better than some copies I've seen. I'm in the Good range...1.8 -2.0. Good luck!  :wishluck:

Edited by The Lions Den
Additional info added

Thanks to all - I sent it out today CGC was in NYC right over the bridge and I sent a bunch of books out including this one - I marked it for resto , press and the works if needed-I’ve wanted this book for about 25 years and am happy to have it either way -the closer to 2 I am - the happier I’ll be :idea:

12 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

Press will not help.  I'm at 1.5.  Fingers crossed they don't determine the pen to be color touch.  That doesn't look like the intent as it looks more like I kid outlining.

To me it's obvious that it's a tracing around the legs.  It would be a travesty if they said color touch on that.  I agree that press will most likely not help.... but maybe.

42 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Still fast tracking ...just logged in yesterday from Sunday - hopefully today / tomorrow :popcorn:

Whoops, I thought 1950s War Comics was you Adam haha.  I still haven't had my coffee this morning.

Edited by gadzukes