• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on a trade. X
2 2

84 posts in this topic

I would just like everyone's opinion on a trade. I have tentatively agreed to a trade where  I am giving up a Hulk 181cgc 9.2 ow/w, a GSXM 1 cgc 8.0 ow/w and 1k cash for an X men 1 cgc 5.0 ow/w.

I realize I'm giving up more value initially,  but long term wise, will I come out ahead?

20190309_203120.jpg

20190308_213909.jpg

20190310_100529.jpg

If you want an X-Men 1 then it's not a terrible trade.  You could sell your two keys and get about $7,000 after fees and then you would need to pony up $800 - $900 for the X-Men 1.  The trade makes it a lot less work and only cost you about $100 compared to simply buying the books.  Two bronze age keys for a Silver-Age key is not a bad way to go in the grand scheme of things.

and define long term.....

trading 2 keys plus cash for one key ---- you should not really end up under water to start - 

how are you valuing each comic - 

as is - looks like a horrible deal for you - 

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

If you want an X-Men 1 then it's not a terrible trade.  You could sell your two keys and get about $7,000 after fees and then you would need to pony up $800 - $900 for the X-Men 1.  The trade makes it a lot less work and only cost you about $100 compared to simply buying the books.  Two bronze age keys for a Silver-Age key is not a bad way to go in the grand scheme of things.

Plus $1000 cash???

I think I looked at the wrong GPA data.  I'd say the two book for 1 would be a fair deal especially if you are dealing with a big seller.  The extra $1,000 seems a bit excessive.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I think I looked at the wrong GPA data.  I'd say the two book for 1 would be a fair deal especially if you are dealing with a big seller.  The extra $1,000 seems a bit excessive.

+1

No reason to fork over another $1000.  The straight trade for the slabs is fair enough; you might be underwater initially but not an extra $1000 underwater.

16 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You're still off by $500. The X-Men owner should be paying *you*. :)

Edited by SuperBird

In my opinion that's a bad X-men 1 to trade for at even-GPA, much less behind. Those edges are going to hold down its value. Also, the GSX1 looks unpressed and the trader is probably banking on it upgrading. If anything, you should be the one asking for cash above GPA. Personally I'd wait for a better book.

Edited by Greenlake

the numbers

You gave: 

Hulk 181cgc 9.2 ow/w 12mo/90day GPA= $6400/6600

GSXM 1 cgc 8.0 ow/w and  12mo/90day GPA=$1381/$1739

1k cash

Which totals $8781/$9339

You got:

X men 1 cgc 5.0 ow/w  12mo/90day GPA=   $6,650/$7,876

Both books you traded away are full of "up" arrows and are trending up (as is obvious by the 12mo/90day GPA data. 

The book you are getting is also trending up. 

The X-men 1 is going to grow as the floor for an X-men 1 grows since it's mid-grade. 

The books you gave up are going to grow as the ceiling on the books grows. 

The book you got is on the high end of the of the center mass of the cgc census (after 5.0 the numbers start to winnow down fast, below 5.0 they increase and are bunched together)

The IH181 you gave up is above center mass for the book (which is around 8.0)

The GSX1 you gave up is at center mass for it's census (which is 8.0/8.5)

I think the books you gave up are going to slightly out perform the book you got. The issue is that the books you gave up are already starting with a $1500 lead. 

If you had just put the two books up in auction on CLINK and gotten GPA for them you'd still be ahead, even after the 10% fees. (Sell for $8339, less $834 fees = $7500, then offer full GPA for the book ($7900) and you end up with the book and save $600 in your pocked. 

And if a Marvel movie comes out introducing the X-Men to the MCU, I dont see X-men 1 out spiking the other two which have a bevy of 1st appearances that would likely be in the movie too (Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler..)

Only way I see X-men 1 out pacing the other two due to movie bumpage is if they explicitly do a 60s era style movie for the X-men tying the movie directly back to X-men 1. 

but I doubt they'll do that cause of two words. 

"Wolver"

"ine" 

I'd love to hear a tick-toc on how this deal developed? 

Did you throw in the cash sweetener? Or did he ask for it? Did you offer less and he asked for more? 

Did you go back and forth on what was included in the deal, or was it just a case of you adding more and more stuff to your side of the equation until he accepted? 

You dont have to say, Im just intrigued on how deals develop