• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Buscema Splash Silver Surfer#17

20 posts in this topic

Page 2 from the same issue showed up on Heritage a couple of years ago and i was surprised it sold for $11K but still no sign of page 1 anywhere. This was discussed a few years back and the former owner put a scan up of it and might have even sold it. Does anyone have any ideas on who the actual owner is now or its whereabouts. Am i to also assume that the ball park figure is likely to be around $15K.     

On 3/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, Justin Case said:

Page 2 from the same issue showed up on Heritage a couple of years ago and i was surprised it sold for $11K but still no sign of page 1 anywhere. This was discussed a few years back and the former owner put a scan up of it and might have even sold it. Does anyone have any ideas on who the actual owner is now or its whereabouts. Am i to also assume that the ball park figure is likely to be around $15K.     

No idea where it is, but, the price is going to be substantially more than $15K for a Surfer/Mephisto splash page from the title series. I'm not sure how much more (my it's-not-in-my-wheelhouse guess would be more like $25-35K, though, I wouldn't be shocked if it was higher), but, in any case, I would pay $15K for it all day long because I know I could find a buyer who would pay more than that within 15 minutes. 

Edited by delekkerste

19 hours ago, delekkerste said:

No idea where it is, but, the price is going to be substantially more than $15K for a Surfer/Mephisto splash page from the title series. I'm not sure how much more (my it's-not-in-my-wheelhouse guess would be more like $25-35K, though, I wouldn't be shocked if it was higher), but, in any case, I would pay $15K for it all day long because I know I could find a buyer who would pay more than that within 15 minutes. 

I would pay more than that within 10 minutes :bigsmile:, but seriously i thought maybe $20K absolute max. Those figures you quoted does seem a bit high although i havent found any sales of those splash pages in recent years.

12 minutes ago, Justin Case said:

I would pay more than that within 10 minutes :bigsmile:, but seriously i thought maybe $20K absolute max. Those figures you quoted does seem a bit high although i havent found any sales of those splash pages in recent years.

$20K is probably the absolute floor!  I'd probably take a chance at it even at that price, as someone would surely pay more than that for a Surfer/Mephisto splash. #amiriteoramirite

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

$20K is probably the absolute floor!  I'd probably take a chance at it even at that price, as someone would surely pay more than that for a Surfer/Mephisto splash. #amiriteoramirite

This BEAUTY was briefly available last year...it was considerably tempting...even at $15k...

ZgvVSlav_2012181549481gpadd.JPG

42 minutes ago, Justin Case said:

Wow $15K! That certainly puts things in perspective. Maybe delekkerste is right and $20K is the absolute floor for the splash page.

You wouldn't need to worry about me bidding against you should the Title Splash page to SS 17 ever turn up at auction...

And, remember to consider the BP, sales tax, & shipping costs, at the very least (it would 'certainly' be offered via HA)...

I guesstimate that the final cost to become the new owner is no less than $30k...

20190319_131741.jpg

On 3/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, First Upgrade said:

You wouldn't need to worry about me bidding against you should the Title Splash page to SS 17 ever turn up at auction...

And, remember to consider the BP, sales tax, & shipping costs, at the very least (it would 'certainly' be offered via HA)...

I guesstimate that the final cost to become the new owner is no less than $30k...

20190319_131741.jpg

Another splash with Silver Surfer standing on a building holding his surf board sold for between 20k and 30k several years back.  I tried to find it in my record but couldn't.

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Another splash with Silver Surfer standing on a building holding his surf board sold for between 20k and 30k several years back.  I tried to find it in my record but couldn't.

this one? https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=494350

https://comicarttracker.com/history?query=silver-surfer-splash :)

Its been just over a year since i started this thread and i have been looking everywhere for this splash page and i mean everywhere. Ive even got friends on the lookout when they go to conventions to the point where even if i am on vacation and they see it they are to contact me. Ive asked the main original art dealers to contact me and ive even got alerts set up to receive emails if this ever does show up. So if anybody out there does own this page or knows of anybody who owns this page i am willing to offer $20K for it.   

1 minute ago, JadeGiant said:

That's about a good a lead as your going to get. Good luck with the chase!

I definitely had that splash and sold my collection during college to one person and I'm pretty sure that person was Ted. I no longer have my college email account so I can't go back and check my emails.

Just had a PM from someone who said he emailed Ted back in January 2006 after he saw it on his website but it had just sold it. If it was sold that long ago i would think that whoever he sold it to it has probably moved on since then.      

To be honest i dont really know who Ted Latner is so i emailed the person who sent me a PM asking him if by any chance he asked Ted who he sold it to and from his recollection he said Ted sold it to a collector from Canada which may explain why it hasnt showed up anywhere.